Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toyo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Change Out Fan Motors?
    I have 2 Rheem units. They are heat pumps so they run year around. Since they are almost 10 years old I was wondering if I should replace the fan motors either in the outisde units or the blower motors. What is the average life expectancy of these items? I would hate for them to go out on a 100 degree day or cold day. I know for sure I can do the fan motor myself, done it for other people, but how dificult is the blower motor?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
    The blower on inside is relatively easy, Turn off power, Identify wires connections, Capacitor hook up. Then disconnect Wires, loosen screws on shaft holding squirill cage.
    Remove 3? Motor mount screws. It is important motor rotates correct direction, usually reverse 2 wires(not the feed)on motor to correct. Should say on motor.
    Toyo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Thanks for your reply. What do you think about starting to change these out? I would hate for one of these to go in the middle of Winter on a Sunday morning. I have 4 of them so I could just do like 1 a month to spread it out a little.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Sounds good, Start with a not to critical one to eleminate discomfort while learning, and more understanding of what's required. Do one at a time, inside or outside to reduce problems if it doesn't work.
    Direction is VERY important, reversing 2(not power), will change direction.
    Turn off power.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I would wait until they go out. I have had them to last 16-18 years

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan speed won't change [ 2 Answers ]

We recently purchased and installed two different Harbor Breeze ceiling fans. They have both developed the same problem - all three speed settings are now high speed. We solved the problem for one fan by installing a wall switch that changes the speed. That seems to work fine - we can now get...

How does the remote control change fan speeds? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering how a remote control for a fan changes the speeds of the fan. Does the circuitry in the remote control change the speeds or is there a capacitor in the fan that changes the speeds. If it is a capacitor, I can't figure out how the receiver would be able to make the capacitor work...

Fan and light kit are on the same switch. Want to change it. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a new construction home and I am wanting to figure out the easiest way to put the fans and light kits on separate switches or controls. I have a large vaulted rectangular living room that has two fans with a light kit on each fan. Both of the fans and the light kits are...

How do I change a capacitor in ceiling fan? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Huntington III ceiling fan that is only 7 months old. The fan speed is stuck in the "high" mode. Using the pull chain doesn't change the speed. I contacted HB's helpline and was advised that it was a bad capacitor. They mailed me a new one but no instructions. How do I...

Hamption Bay Fan... change Code? [ 1 Answers ]

I Have 4 New Hamption Bay Ceiling Fans And Two Of Them Have The Same Codes So When One Is Turned On It Turns Both Of Them On And Vise Versa... I Found The Circuit Board In The Remote To Change The Numbers (like On A Garage Door) But I Can't Find The Board On The Fan To Match Them... any Help Will...

View more questions Search