Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsdlover Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 05:30 AM
    My GSD won't eat, picks out meat
    Hey I had just adpopted a dog yesterday she is a Yr old White German Shepherd named

Blanca . When I brought her home she was kind of scared but she quickly got use to the family.

She took a nap, explored the house and just got use to the house pretty quikly. But when I

Tried to feed her she just wouldn't eat! She would lick it or sniff it and would walk away. But

She drinks plenty of water. Even this morning I tried feeding her and she still wouldn't eat I left

Her in the garage by herself with water and food and I came back and the food looked like it

Hadn't even been touched. So what should I do I mean my opinion is that she is still getting use

To the house but my dad just insist that Blanca is sick. By I disagree with him. Because if she

Sick she wouldn't be playing and coming to you and bothering you when your lying dwn lol. But I

Have noticed a slight change in her today then yesterday. She is not hesitating to follow me

Upstairs or back downstairs. And she is regularly waggin her tail when you call or look at her.

So would some one give me a comment or reply about my dog. About her eating and

Her adjuting to my house. Thanks a lot
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 05:41 AM
    My sticky on dogs not eating, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 starts saying you must know the dog. It sounds like a typical rehomed German Shepherd. Still, a vet visit taking any medical records you have would be a good start with any new dog. The vet can help you evaluate the dog's body condition. Shepherd's commonly keep themselves on the lower side of normal.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
    I agree with labman. Rehomed dogs typically need a few days to adjust to their new surroundings. Many won't eat immediately. She will eat when she is hungry. Make sure she is getting a lot of exercise. That will build up a good appetite. The other thing to consider is the chow you are feeding her. Are you feeding her the same kibble she was eating before? If not, this could be one reason as well. A few days of not eating is not cause for alarm. She won't die from that. Drinking water is more important for her health.

If what labman and I are saying doesn't apply at all, a vet visit might be in order this coming week.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
    From an email: ''hey lab man. Thanks a lot for the advice. But I also had one more question about my GSD Blanca. My dog blanca had made some improvement today she actually ate her food today but, I mixed the food

With caned

Dog food (alpo) and my dog blanca would pick only the meat out and leave the dry food. How can I get her to eat all of her food? I mean she is hungry but she just won't eat her dry food.

She'll just pick out all the meat canned food and leave the dry food. But this morning I used a different caned dog food that was not chunked and she didn't evn want to eat any of the food. So this

Morning I cooked a piece of steak and diced it and mixed it with the dry food but she just picked the steak out as well. So if you could can you give me some advice on what to feed her.''

It is better to keep all the info in one place and out in public. RubyPitbull has more experience with rehomed dogs than I do so we need her input.

I don't think you should be offering her the canned chow and meat. Too easy for her to become a picky eater. Give her a little more time, and she should be eating the dry chow that is what is best for her.

Try the massaging described in https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...on-120963.html It may help her become comfortable in your home and start eating.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Take it to a vet. My miniature pincher died from liver damage. It caused her not to eat. Be careful what vet you choose because our vet said she would be okay and the next day she died because he gave her to strong of a medicene

Aug 20, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Blanca is picking out the meat what should I do?
    I also had one more question about my GSD Blanca. My dog blanca had made some improvement today she actually ate her food today but, I mixed the food

With caned

Dog food (alpo) and my dog blanca would pick only the meat out and leave the dry food. How can I get her to eat all of her food? I mean she is hungry but she just won't eat her dry food.

She'll just pick out all the meat canned food and leave the dry food. But this morning I used a different caned dog food that was not chunked and she didn't evn want to eat any of the food. So this

Morning I cooked a piece of steak and diced it and mixed it with the dry food but she just picked the steak out as well. So if you could can you give me some advice on what to feed her.

LabMan's Reply
    I don't think you should be offering her the canned chow and meat. Too easy for her to become a picky eater. Give her a little more time, and she should be eating the dry chow that is what is best for her.

Try the massaging described in https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/do...on-120963.html It may help her become comfortable in your home and start eating.
    Most of what I know about dogs, I have learned since 1991 raising puppies for a large dog guide school. They have accumulated experience with thousands of dogs. They carefully mentor me and other volunteers sharing all they know about training dogs and the best way to give a dog an long active life.

I have picked up this and that elsewhere over the years.

When the server is down, you can find me at [email address]. Otherwise, post questions to the board
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Honey, please follow labman's advice for now. I really don't think there is any need to bring her to the vet at the moment. Since she is willing to eat something of her own choosing, this is definitely a matter of her adjusting to her new home. Please don't feed her anything special outside the chow. The more you cater to her, the pickier she will become. GSD can be picky eaters to start with. If you are truly upset and worried, I would suggest that you ask your parents to buy a box or can of chicken broth, the lower sodium, lower fat kind that you can find in any supermarket. You can put a few tablespoons (only) on the kibble. Warm it up before you place it on the chow if you like. It has the yummy aroma that your GSD is looking for and there isn't anything for her to pick out except for the chow. After a week, start to decrease the amount of broth you are adding. Keep decreasing over the course of the following week until she starts eating her chow dry. This is just a matter of your family having patience with her adjustment to her new home, in addition to training her to eat the chow. Let us know how this works out for you.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:07 AM
    As I said, and RubyPitbull agreed, I think it is a mistake to be adding the meat at this time. Many dogs suffer ill health due to eating poor diets. Modern dog chows are carefully formulated to provide dogs with the complete and balanced diet they need. It is almost impossible for the average dog owner to duplicate such a diet adding meat and other rich food. What you are doing isn't necessary and isn't working. What you need to do is follow the advice in the sticky that I am not going to repeat. There is no problem for most dogs to go a few days without eating. It is the only way to retrain a picky eater to eating the healthy diet they need.

You could try Ruby's chicken broth idea.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Before my dog died she wouldn't eat dog food but she would eat lunch meat and stuff. Eventually she still died

Aug 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Honey, please follow labman's advice for now. I really don't think there is any need to bring her to the vet at the moment. Since she is willing to eat something of her own choosing, this is definitely a matter of her adjusting to her new home. Please don't feed her anything special outside the chow. The more you cater to her, the pickier she will become. GSD can be picky eaters to start with. If you are truly upset and worried, I would suggest that you ask your parents to buy a box or can of chicken broth, the lower sodium, lower fat kind that you can find in any supermarket. You can put a few tablespoons (only) on the kibble. Warm it up before you place it on the chow if you like. It has the yummy aroma that your GSD is looking for and there isn't anything for her to pick out except for the chow. After a week, start to decrease the amount of broth you are adding. Keep decreasing over the course of the following week until she starts eating her chow dry. This is just a matter of your family having patience with her adjustment to her new home, in addition to training her to eat the chow. Let us know how this works out for you.

Well today I took blanca to the vet because of other problems she was having and the doctor said that her posibility of not eating is because blanca has a congestion. And she has a fever and she has a cold. And the doctor also said that she probably isn't eating because the new chow I gave her isn't the one she use to eat. But he said she will eventually eat as well when she gets hungry. But he said his idea of her not eating was because she had a cold fever and a congestion. But I will give her some more time on adjuting. But the main thing is that I'm working on getting her well. But thanks a lot for your advice and I will take your advice and labman's advice as well
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I am happy you took it to the vet. In trying to decide if a dog needs to see the vet, it helps to be familiar with the dog. You made the right decision. Please keep us posted.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Although the food change was something that I thought might be the problem as I stated, you never mentioned that she seemed to have any congestions, coughing, runny nose,? Usually those symptoms are very apparent. By your description she appeared to be normal and happy, just a little fussy with food as a lot of rehoused dogs can be. As labman said, it is hard to make the call at to whether a vet visit is necessary and it is good that you chose to be on the safe side. Definitely let us know how she is getting along.

Aug 21, 2007, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    As I said, and RubyPitbull agreed, I think it is a mistake to be adding the meat at this time. Many dogs suffer ill health due to eating poor diets. Modern dog chows are carefully formulated to provide dogs with the complete and balanced diet they need. It is almost impossible for the average dog owner to duplicate such a diet adding meat and other rich food. What you are doing isn't necessary and isn't working. What you need to do is follow the advice in the sticky that I am not going to repeat. There is no problem for most dogs to go a few days without eating. It is the only way to retrain a picky eater to eating the healthy diet they need.

You could try Ruby's chicken broth idea.

Well I used her dog food and mixed it with her dry and wet food and she has been starting to eat.. so I think it is an improvement on my dog. :) but she still doesn't eat all of her dry food but as long as she is eating. But I haven't been giving her any of our food only her caned chow and her dry food.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Once you do have have her health problems straightened out, you do want to have her eating nothing except a dry dog chow. Just follow what I say in the sticky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 5 year old won't eat [ 30 Answers ]

I can't figure it out, it has gotten too the point where now I will try to feed him and he will chew his food but he will not swallow. What should I do?

My Puppy won't eat! [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: We got a five month old schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle) from a reputable breeder. We've only had her since Monday, she has been to the vets for the first round of shots, and does have some loose teeth. So maybe I'm panicking early, but she just shows no interest in eating. I thought...

Puppy won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

OK so I got a new puppy and now my older dog who is one won't eat what should I do to get him to eat??

7 week old GSD won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

We just brought home a 7-week old GSD and he has a wonderful temperament but he hardly eats at all during the day, vomited once (on the first full day that he was home), and has had nothing but diarrhea and urine come out of him. He also sleeps about 90% of the time during the day. We have been...

View more questions Search