Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilvrsu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
    At 16 in Oregon can I choose who I want to live with
    I am 16 and I live in Oregon. My dad has custody of me and I don't want to live with him. I want to live with my mom. My dad tells me I don't have the right to choose then my mom tells me that I do. My dad doesn't hit me or anything like that. He yells and has threatened to hit me but never has. I can't take it here.. what do I do?
    KristiAm7778 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Minors are not allowed to choose with whom they wish to live.

A judge may speak with minor children about issues such as school, neighborhood, friends and so forth to learn more about the minor child's/children's current situation.

The final decision of custody is based on the best interest of the child/children and not on the preference of any of the involved parties.

Children are not allowed to have the final say in where or who they live with. The court does indeed consider the feelings, opinions, and request of a child. The wishes of a child usually is a significant part in a judge's decision in awarding custody.

Possibly, some children are very mature and capable of making such a decision. The final outcome however would depend upon the presiding family court judge. Involved parties would give testimony, the child would be interviewed by a social worker and possibly the judge, and then a decision would be rendered.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Hello I:

You cannot choose, as has been explained by the above post. However, as noted, the judge will be interested in what you have to say. So, you need to get in front of a judge. Have your mom petition the court for a modification of custody. Then you can have your say.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Well by now and having read those answers I guess you understand that life is not fair all the time. I know you want to be able to do what you want, but the courts don't see it. If you want to go and live with the parent that does not custody you have to get them to file for custody in court. The judge will listen to what you want, but will also listen to each of the parent and view any evidence. The judge then decides who he things would be best for you to live with.
    This process can take months and 1000's of dollars.
    tperrault Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 04:03 PM
    Now I understand why so many children run away in Oregon.
    factsoverfancy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
    You understand why children run away? Amazing, in a single discussion you have solved a problem that has plagued law officials, psychologist, and parents for decades. Seems to me that what your deduction has concluded is that the solution to the runaway epidemic is to give minors what they want without concern or consideration for their best interest. Think before you speak. There are good reasons the courts don't allow a minor to make the choice. The fact is that even the best, and brightest child is going to go to the home with the easiest life style which is by no means the same as the best life style.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age to choose where to live [ 33 Answers ]

In the state of South Dakota, what age do you need to be before you can choose which parent you want to live with?

Can I choose were I want to live at 16? [ 16 Answers ]

:( :confused: Am I old enough to choose to live with my father at the age of 16? I don't get along with my mother, and my father listins to me and gets me. Is their anything I can do without going to cort? Like am I old enough to leave home? Please help!:(

Can I choose what parent I want to live with at the age of 15 in clovis New Mexico [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I'm 15 years old and I live with my dad and I absolutely hate it... well over the last couple of months I found out that my dad don't have full custody... him and my mom have joint custody... and all my friends are telling me that I am old enough to choose who I want to live with and the...

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search