Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2005, 04:42 PM
    Crackling noises in walls
    Each night I hear crackling noises in my walls and ceilings? I live in San Diego where the temp gets pretty warm in the day and at night it cools down. Are the crackling noises a result of the wood expanding due to the different temps? The noises only happen in a new edition we built about 10 years ago. Is this something I should be concerned about? It happens both in the walls and in the ceiling.
    tjpapa
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 04:41 AM
    Happening in only the new addition is good evidence that you are right: that it's just the newer materials still expanding and contracting, "settling in" as it were.

Aug 25, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Crackling noises in house
    Thanks for the note. I'm surprised the noises are still occurring even though the "new" construction was built 10 years ago. Seems like a long time. Thanks!TJ
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 08:00 AM
    I'm a bit surprised, too... and was tempted to ask if you've heard these sounds the whole 10 years.

But there are so many variants involved between the weather, the ground and the materials that the new addition was added onto, I realize it very likely is just what we think.
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 08:02 AM
    Could it be..
    I put in the insulation spacers in my roof rafters (the styrafoam ones). I still haven't insulated, but as the roof heats up it starts to sound like rice krispies. I'm hoping that will be muffled by the insulation and drywall.

Just a thought..

Aug 25, 2005, 08:10 AM
    Sounds exactly like rice krispies. As for insulating, the people who built the addition did not cut out an entry way to the attick in the ceiling. Don't know why but looks like I'll have to cut one out myself to add insulation, if they haven't already but how would I know since I can't get up there. :-)
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 08:55 AM
    It would be worth knowing... just don't cut into the ceiling until you know what size and style of access panel/cover/door you will use.

Decide that first, then cut the appropriate sized hole.

Aug 25, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Good idea, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange noises! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I have a real mystery on my hands. Let me give you some back ground: My house was built in 1969 and has copper supply and drain lines. When using the upstairs master bathroom (either faucet, toilet, or shower) you hear a very distinct banging or knocking in what I think are the drain...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

Maytag fridge noises [ 1 Answers ]

I started renting my current apartment 3 months ago. The fridge is newer and nice but ever since I moved in it makes thwocking noises like someone is inside of it throwing rocks at the door. They are very loud! I haven't been too worried until I opened up the freezer(top) section yesterday and...

Strange Noises! [ 3 Answers ]

I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall! I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop...

I hear noises [ 9 Answers ]

My name is JC and I just moved into a house and I have been finding a lot of problems with various items but now it is the plumbing. I hear noises in the kitchen drain when the washing machine running. I noticed the washing machine is on the same drain line as the sink. Is there a way to stop...

View more questions Search