Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    420uk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 02:55 PM
    300 gig full of data now "unallocated" after PC unplugged?
    I had a 300 gig ext maxtor hd usb'd to my PC, approx 85-90% full of data.
    During a burning process (using Nero) of data from the drive my PC got unplugged, I rebooted to find the maxtor wasn't listed in my computer or windows explorer.
    I went through to computer management where the drive shows, but it states unallocated and calls for formatting?
    What I really need to find out is if there's any chance the data may still be on there, saved, accessed or retrieved...
    Is it possible that the PC being unplugged has wiped ALL 270 gig worth?
    Is it worth stripping the sealed maxtor to plug in internally?
    I have tried the hd on another PC and get the samw unallocated message from computer management... drivin me nuts.
    Any help, suggestions greatly apprciated, as you can guess I'm gutted, its a lot of data to loose!
    Just to note, the drive sounds fine when it starts up?
    Anyhow, cheers

420uk
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Hi 420uk,
    I feel your pain. I have an external Maxtor drive myself that has been the bane of my existence for years. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. Here is a free program that has saved the majority of my data on all but one occasion:

PC INSPECTOR File Recovery

Though for reasons unknown this program did not work for me after the last disaster, in which case I was forced to resort to commercial software. That is when I stopped using the drive for critical data.
    Anyhow, it is generally quite difficult to completely eradicate data, intentionally or otherwise. A simple format or the like is highly unlikely to make the data unretrievable by more sophisticated means or programs. Unless the drive is somehow physically damaged, as in bad sectors for instance, I would suspect your data is likely near wholly intact, though it may ultimately just be a matter of what you're willing to spend to retrieve it.
    Good luck. I hope the program works as well for you as it has for me in the past.
    420uk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 420uk
    I had a 300 gig ext maxtor hd usb'd to my pc, approx 85-90% full of data.
    During a burning process (using Nero) of data from the drive my pc got unplugged, i rebooted to find the maxtor wasnt listed in my computer or windows explorer.
    i went through to computer management where the drive shows, but it states unallocated and calls for formatting?
    What i really need to find out is if theres any chance the data may still be on there, saved, accessed or retrieved......
    is it possible that the pc being unplugged has wiped ALL 270 gig worth??
    is it worth stripping the sealed maxtor to plug in internally?
    i have tried the hd on another pc and get the samw unallocated message from computer management....drivin me nuts.
    any help, suggestions greatly apprciated, as you can guess i'm gutted, its alot of data to loose!
    just to note, the drive sounds fine when it starts up??
    anyhow, cheers

420uk
    Thomas1970,
    Thanks for the reply & link !
    Will check out PC INSPECTOR, could you tell me the names of any of the commercial software available for this kind of job?
    Cheers

420uk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WinXP NTFS formatted hard drive is "unallocated" [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I recently purchased a 500gb hard drive, hooked it up as the master (cable select on, plugged to end of IDE cable) drive on the secondary IDE channel of the motherboard then initialized and formatted it in WinXP SP2. Once this was done, the drive was recognized as "healthy, working" in...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? Part2 [ 2 Answers ]

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy...

View more questions Search