Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nishantmenon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Spouse outside US for part and in US for part of the year - file single or joint ?
    Hi,

I have been working in the US (RI) since Aug 2006. My wife has been living and working in India all this time. However, in Aug 2007, she came to the US (CA) on an independent work visa.

For financial year 2007, would it be beneficial / correct for us to file taxes individually or jointly ? Last year (2006) I filed as single.

Summary:
    Jan 2007 - Jul 2007: I was in earning and living in US, spouse was earning and living in India
    Aug 2007 - Dec 2007: I will be earning and living in US (RI) and spouse will be earning and living in US (CA) - in difference states and living apart.

Please advice.

Thanks,
    Nishant
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Nishant:

More than likely, you will benefit by filing jointly, because you can then claim the JOINT standard deduction of $10,600.

She will have to pay taxes on the income earned in India if you file jointly, but that will be partially offset by claiming a credit for the Indian taxes using Form 1116.

The alternative is for you both to file separate tax returns, you probably as a resident alien and your wife as a non-resident alien. You will be able to claim the standard deduction for yourself, but your wife will NOT be able to claim this deduction.

The only way to know for sure which is best is to perform the calculations both ways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part Year Resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived for 8 months in NYC in 2006. I have been on an exchange visa (J-1) as a trainee and received salary from NYC business. My permanent address is in Germany and I filed a 1040 NR. Can I file as a part year resident of NY/ NYC the IT-203 form? Do I have to pay city- state taxes? ...

Part year Income abroad [ 8 Answers ]

In 2006, I was in India for first 3 months & then came to US on L1 with same employer. On my W2 only US income is mentioned. Do I need to pay US taxes for only US income or do I need to convert 3 months of indian salary(already taxed at India) to US dollars & add to my total US income ? If I have...

Part year/non resident issues [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a resident of Illinois but as of October of last year, he has been working in Iowa, so does this make him a part year resident of Illinois or is he still a full year resident and a non-resident of Iowa? I know this may sound stupid but he IS and always has been a resident of Illinois...

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search