Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Making 6/3 fit in breaker
    I hired an electrician to run wire for an electric stove. He chose 6/3 with ground. The stove will require 30-amps and 220 volts. I noticed that when he connected the wires to the breaker that it was necessary for him to cut off a couple of the strands to make the wire fit in the clamp. I'm guessing this is not code.

I went to Home Depot to look at breakers and it looks like the 40 and 50 amp breakers have larger clamps than the 30-amp breakers.

Do they make a 30-amp breaker that will fit 6 gauge wire? Is the way he hooked this up okay?
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Correct, cutting off strands is not to code, plus shows lack of ethics and poor workmanship.

According to page 15 of the catalog:
    http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...0110PL9401.pdf

A 2 pole 30 amp HOM breaker handles up to #8 copper wire. 40 and 50 am p dot handle larger wires.

This info will be listed on a very small label at the terminal.

Can use split bolt connectors to splice on a small piece of #8, but bare split bots need two coatings of tape, one layer rubber and one typical electricians tape. The do make insulated mechanical connectors. Best is to use compression crimp connectors, but these require special tools.

I am curious, why 30 amp? Most electric ranges need a min of a 40 amp circuit. Is this a smaller than average unit? Perhaps an apartment unit?

Aug 18, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Yes, this is for an apartment. I have not picked out the range yet, but thought 30-amp was pretty standard. I'm now thinking I should find a 40-amp range and switch the breaker to a 40-amp.

The electrician could then cut off the section with the missing strands and fit the entire wire into a 40-amp breaker. I will take a look at ranges ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Aug 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
    I just got back from the used appliance store and the guy there said that all of his stoves are 30-amp. He says you can use a 40-amp breaker on them, this will just make the stoves brighter. Any problem with doing this?

The 6/3 with ground is already run and I really don't want to have it replaced with a higher gauge.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
    The 40 amp breaker will make the stove "brighter"?!

What the hell kind of crap is that? Now I have heard everything. Sorry, but I cannot believe the BS that store clerks make up and give to consumers.

Code requires any circuit for a residential range to be a minimum of 40 amps.

Use a 40 amp breaker on the #6 wire and install a typical 4 wire 40/50 amp range receptacle, NEMA 14-50R. Any range will need a 4 wire cord with the matching plug.

Aug 18, 2007, 11:44 PM
    I will use a 40 amp breaker and the receptacle you recommended. Thanks for the straight advice. Dealing with uninformed folks can be a real challenge. Glad you guys are here.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 06:00 AM
    When you get back to the appliance store, you got to ask how the stove will work "brighter". Ask for the electrical formula or calculation that can illustrate this phenomenon. Which Law of Physics explains this brightening? Should Ohm's Law be re-written?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hopper won't fit [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Piranha Evo marker. I also got a revolution hopper and it doesn't fit. Please tell me how to make it fit or what I have to buy.

I don't seem to fit in? [ 2 Answers ]

It seems like I don't really fit in anywhere. I'm 17 (male) and I had plenty of friends at scholl. But since I went to a different college everthings changed and I found out hu my real friends are. Also the people in my classes are imature and I can't seem to mix with anyone- not that id want to...

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

Getting Fit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 35, male and 5'10. 3 years ago I has a 33 inch waist and weighed 170 lbs. I'm now about 194 lbs, and my waist has expanded to over 38 inches. I have a belly (my midsection really bulges out - all fat) and I'm getting a fair amount of fat around my chest. I don't mind being a little...

View more questions Search