Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ann-Desi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
    Leaky pipe under kitchen sink
    Hi,

I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the pipes can't support that volume of water being sent through them.

Also, I checked the pipes and one of them appears loose (I can twist it), but it's not come off and there doesn't appear to be any obvious signs of leaking otherwise.

Any advice?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2005, 12:08 PM
    The full sink draining puts more pressure on the lines than does regular draining - and this extra pressure is squeaking through a weak spot, probably a joint.

Dry everything off real well under there, fill up the sink, let it drain - and while it is draining, look and feel around real well to locate where it's coming from.

10 to 1 says it's a joint that just needs taken apart, cleaned and put back together snugly (but not as tight as you can).

And be sure the washer in the joint is seated well in the tube.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2005, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Desi
    Hi,

I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the pipes can't support that volume of water being sent through them.

Also, I checked the pipes and one of them appears loose (I can twist it), but it's not come off and there doesn't appear to be any obvious signs of leaking otherwise.

Any advice?
    Rick gave you good advice. You should have two compression nuts. One on top of the trap and another larger one securing the "J" bend of the trap. If you can loosen either one by hand they're too loose. Tighten with a pipe wrench or a large set of pliers. Please describe the pipe that appears loose. What's it connect to? How many joints leak and describe them if you can? I'll wait on your answer. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search