Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2004, 10:41 PM
    Windows XP Professional
    I've recxently installed Windows XP on my computer. With WIndows 98 I had an automatic shutdown feature. When I shut down my computer it automatically shut the power off. With XP this doesn't happen and I have to manually shut the power off. Is there a way to get XP to do what 98 did?
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 28, 2004, 05:56 PM
    Hi,

You may try downloading the latest Windows Updates to see if this resolves your problem. It may be a piece of installed hardware or software that is interfering with your shutdown. Editing the startup folder may also help with your shutdown issue. To do this, go to start, run, then type in msconfig and click on the startup tab and uncheck anything that does not need to start automatically when your PC restarts. Obviously, things like your anti-virus program should ALWAYS run during each startup.

Certain items listed in the startup folder often affect proper shutdown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP Professional [ 4 Answers ]

Hello , I have Windows XP Pro . Shouldn't I have a Speaker Icon on my task bar to adjust my settings ? I find this odd I don't . If so , How do I go about getting a Speaker Icon Added . :cool: Thanks , Lisa

Unable to install Windows XP Professional [ 11 Answers ]

I have more than 10 systems and am typically a whiz at computers. I have been installing WIndows XP since long but to my surprise, in one particular system, I am unable to install Windows XP Professional. The computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.7 Ghz on a 845LDM chipset board & 256 DDR. The surprising...

Error message windows xp professional [ 8 Answers ]

I had a computer that had windows xp professional on it and not that it has been unplugged I get an error message when I turn it on it says insert system disk and press enter I don't have the cd or a boot disk could I use windows 98 boot disk to start the computer so I don't get the error message...

Tired of loggin on to Windows XP Professional. [ 1 Answers ]

When I boot my system, I'd like to go right to my desktop. I am tired of logging on or just hitting enter. I have windows xp professional. Someone please help.

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search