Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yamotnako Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Anti depression medication and pregnancy
    I know a girl who was taking an anti depression drugs. She took it during the first trimester of her pregnancy. And from what I heard her doctor told her that there's a good chance that her baby might be physically harm and definitely will have mental retardation. That is just a rumour but I want to know if it could be true that those kind of drugs can hurt her baby during her first 3 months. Is there an anti depression drug that is so strong that can do that?. she used to have an bad anxiety attack... she was shaking and couldn't breathe. If someone knows a situtation like this please let me know
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 09:19 AM
    It all depends on what medication she is taking. Some do carry with them certain risks, but one can not be 100% positive that every baby born on these meds will suffer those risks.

There are many antidepressants that are safe during pregnancy.
    yamotnako Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2007, 07:09 AM
    She really had some terrible anxiety attack before.. she looked like she had a seizure before. We had to lay her down on the floor. And from what I know she didn't consult her ob about that. That's why her doctor told her that her baby have a good chance of physical and mental defects...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 07:22 AM
    It all depends on exactly what medication she is taking. As I said above, many are fine to take during pregnancy, while others may present a problem. Without knowing what medication she is taking I can't give you any other advice.

Unless her OB knows what med she is on, and I am sure he probably does, he really cannot make that kind of generalization.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medication during pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Can my wife take tylenol cold night time while she is pregnant

Depression Medication [ 9 Answers ]

Hey, I have depression at the moment, but none of my medication is doing anything and the fact I can't find one that does anything makes it worse. So far I have tried Citralopram 10mg then 20mg Sertraline 50mg then 100mg Its really annoying me spending all this time on medications that...

.Medication and Pregnancy. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I'm new to this site, but I could really use a little advice. I'm on the pill... TriNessa. I'm very regular with it. Never miss a pill... same time every night. I also take Topamax. It's an antiepileptic for those that don't know. I take it for migraine supression. After 2...

Depression Medication + Weight Loss Pill [ 8 Answers ]

Hello... I started taking a Fat Burning Enhancer called Lipo 6. The first couple of days of taking them went all right. I did however have the normal effects which is light headed and increase in heart rate along with sweating. I go to the gym and today it really effected me. I was working out like...

Is this medication safe in pregnancy? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been suffering with some congestion/allergy sinus crap lately, and my hubby picked me up this new medicine that helps with all of the above. I don't know much about the ingredients and wanted to make sure that it was safe in case we are pregnant. We have been trying, and I'm in a waiting...

View more questions Search