Ask
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 18, 2007, 02:25 AM
    Space oddessy
    I thought that 2001- a space oddessy
    And
    2010- the year we make contact
    Would be worth discussing
    My reaction after finishing wathcing 2001 was "im not quite sure i understood that....."
    Lol
    Anyone understand the meaning of the final scene in that one?
    The second movie was eventually easier to understand, but what was the meaning of the constant chaning of that bowman guy when he talks to the guy in the pod bay?

I really loved the start of 2010 "MY GOD, ITS FULL OF STARS!" sounded really cool lolz
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    i thought that 2001- a space oddessy
    and
    2010- the year we make contact
    would be worth discussing
    my reaction after finishing wathcing 2001 was "im not quite sure i understood that....."
    lol anyone understand the meaning of the final scene in that one?
    the second movie was eventually easier to understand, but what was the meaning of the constant chaning of that bowman guy when he talks to the guy in the pod bay?

i really loved the start of 2010 "MY GOD, ITS FULL OF STARS!" sounded really cool lolz
    I read both novels and their extended explanations. The first one ends by showing an embryonic creature which had been Bowman but which now has been changed so that he returns to Earth's vicinity to improve conditions there. The novel tells us that the first thing he does with his powers is to destroy all nuclear weapons in orbit. Then it leaves us with his pondering on what he will do next.

The 2010 which one would expect to dovetail with the previous novel doesn't. It has Bowman appearing a disappearing and not even understanding where or what he is.
    Yet he is sufficiently cognizant to know that he has to warn the crew members of the expedition to get out of there because Jupiter will become a star.

Actually, there is a third novel which I also read. I think it's entitled 2020 space Oddysee written by Arthur C Clark This one brings the whole thing to its true conclusion.

2001: A Space Odyssey (novel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Aug 19, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
    There is some new sort of Space Odyssey movie coming out next year I understand, Not sure if it is a cartoon or what, but John Travolta has something to do with it, anyone know about that?

Aug 19, 2007, 10:05 PM
    John Travolta?
    Is he even still alive?
    My mum used to love john travolta, she wants to be that blonde chick that is his girlfriend in grease.
    I reckon its hilarious lol
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Aug 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Frankly, I didn't understand all the hoopla around SO 2001, 2010 movies. They would make good books but the movies were ho hum.

Aug 19, 2007, 10:22 PM
    U could prob make a completely meaningless movie that everyone thinks is deep and meaningful because they don't understand it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

I need space [ 8 Answers ]

Dear friends, so today I ran into the girl that told me she needs space while driving, I tried to wave and she did not look so I assumed that she was ignoring me . So I texted here saying "wow i can't believe that u ignored me. i just can't understand how come people like u and then hate u for no...

I need space [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you guys for the advice! I seem to have a problem and that would be the lack of patience! I guess what I always did'nt understand how come a person that since the first day you meet them are very nice and caring . I mean this girl will text me the minute she wake up from bed tell she go to...

Space... I think... [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sort of new to actual dating... I went out with a few guys in school.. but the relationship really never left school. Once I graduated I fell in love with a guy from australia... was with him for 2 years... and went to see him for 6 months... I waited patiently for 2 years (until three weeks...

View more questions Search