Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shesteps96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Inheritance seized by bank
    Can a bank take money gained by inheritance from one person to pay a debt belonging to the spouse if the person receiving is not on the debt?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
    If the money is in a joint account, it may be frozen, and then the spouse who is not on the debt will have to file an "injured spouse" ( or what it is called in your state) filing and prove it was there money, not their spouse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account seized.. Debt almost gone. [ 13 Answers ]

The company handling my account is Rubin&Rothman for Ford Motor Credit. I voluntarily surrendered a vehicle to the dealership as instructed by FMC about six years ago. I owed $6,000 after the vehicle was re-sold. Unable to pay the $300/month they were demanding, they froze my bank account. I...

Bank Account Seized [ 6 Answers ]

I have a joint bank account with my husband. The account was seized and they have it blocked. That was my money but the seize was against him what do I do?

Can my out of state bank account be seized? [ 4 Answers ]

Back on 3/11/05 a small claims judgment was filed against me and my brother in the state of New York for back rent in the amount of $2023. At the time we had no idea what to do about it (still don't actually) but we knew we weren't guilty so we showed up to court only to be ignored though the whole...

Can my out of state bank account be seized? [ 1 Answers ]

Back on 3/11/05 a small claims judgment was filed against me and my brother in the state of New York for back rent in the amount of $2023. At the time we had no idea what to do about it (still don't actually) but we knew we weren't guilty so we showed up to court only to be ignored though the whole...

View more questions Search