Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kurthall Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Safe Deck Cantilever
    Here is my situation. I have a simple attached deck that is 6 feet wide running the width of my house. The deck is 8 feet off the ground. At its 6 foot limit are three teleposts carrying the deck weight (roughly 15 feet apart). All joists (2x10) are single including the joists running to the three teleposts.

I am replacing the deck surface and I would like to extend the deck out by 18 inches beyond the teleposts so it is a more functional space. Here is my plan: I thought I would replace each of the 3 single joists running to the teleposts with three gang-nailed joists that were 7.5 feet long instead of 6 feet.

I would leave the current double end pieces in place to accept the existing joists. Except where I have to cut to accommodate the longer triple joist piece; then a would build 2x10 frames each 1.5 feet wide. To fit the spaces between and the teleposts. I would nail/screw these securely to the triple joists and the existing doubled end pieces.

I would appreciate a response from an experienced builder to tell me if this is a safe plan or to provide any advice/options I should consider.

Thank you very much

Kurt Hall
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 18, 2007, 05:27 AM
    the deck can only extend 2ft past the beam, for code that is.

usually we build a 2x10 or 2x12 beam that the end of the deck sits on and cantilevers past 2ft,
    you could scab on to the joist already there and extend out further but its not code and id be curious to see how much flex or bounce you get at the end
    you can just add other beam to the end for more support
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 05:11 AM
    You may also wish to add bracing from the poles to the outside joist at a 45 degree angle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cantilever system for fluorescent lights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently rented a large industrial space with 25 ft ceilings and poor lighting. I am trying to set up some lighting to make large artworks along one wall. I thought I would hang 8 foot long fluorescent strip light fixtures along that wall. The question is how to attach them. The...

I need to replace my deck belt on my troybilt 17hr. 42' deck belt diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on troybilt 17hr. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram

How to keep second floor deck from dripping water onto first floor deck [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning to build a second floor deck over an existing deck. Will be 16 x 12 when finished. My question is this. We don't want the upper deck to allow water to drip onto the lower deck when raining. How can this be prevented? I want to use 5/4 decking on top, but don't see how we can do that...

Cantilever floor joists [ 6 Answers ]

I wish to replace the flat picture window in our house with a bow window. I want to extend the floor by sistering the existing joists and extending them out 24 inches from the wall. There is one catch though, the existing joists are imbedded in the concrete wall of the foundation. Any ideas out...

View more questions Search