Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johndavid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Craftsman Riding Mower 23 Kohler hp 24 inch deck
    I recently went out to mow my lawn with this otherwise reliable machine. I pulled the PTO clutch switch to engage the blades. They started to rotate and I was on my way, for about 30 seconds and then the blades stopped rotating. The motor runs perfectly yet the drive unit for the blade belt does not operate. I let the unit set for about 30 minutes and after trying to find the proper troubleshooting information (of which there was none) I again started the motor and the blades started to move again for another 30 sec and once again quit.
    Has ANYONE experienced a similar frustration and if so what had you done to rectify this problem?
    Sincerely Frustrated
    John David
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Manual, or electric pto clutch, as in manual, I mean a lever you have to pull up to engage the blades... electric being push button...

Aug 24, 2005, 04:53 AM
    Craftsman Rider Lawn Mower
    Thanks for your response to my query;
    My PTO clutch switch is a pull/push botton. As I stated it runs for a short time and then shuts down the blades rotating.
    Regards
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2005, 08:33 AM
    OK, so is the battery staying charged? Otherwise I would say something is shorting in line. Or it's the pto itself.

Aug 24, 2005, 01:24 PM
    PTO clutch pooched
    Thanks Dude,, I was just on line with Sears Canada and tried talking to a techie,, the operator stated that they are way too busy to talk to me but they can come out (100 kms) to my place and look see if they can repair. If not then they may have to take it into their shop for repairs. Looks like I may have to bite their bullet at a minimum of $250. Plus parts and any further time. I was not able to purchase a repair manual as this unit apparently does not have one available for the make and model. I have learned a rather big lesson,, DO NOT BUY SUCH ITEMS FROM SEARS!! Go for a recognized and reliable name.
    Again thank you for your time and efforts on my unit. And yes the battery stays well charged,, everything works well except this damned clutch mechanism whether it be the manual parts or electronics.
    Regards
    John Byrne
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2005, 08:50 PM
    Well the thing about sears, they use their own warranty, none of the manufacturers... their riders are made by ayp, they are not a bad product, certainly better then any murray or mtd made rider... like mtd's cub cadet, troy bilt, etc... oh and also, the air gap on those can get messed up, but they should have their heads about them and check it... I don't know specifically the measure...
    Fox racer Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:34 AM

Just replace it with a flip switch from home depot or something. They sell them in the electrical section and they are all I use now for my projects. Or you can check your battery and make sure it is charged. The one other thing is is could be a malfunctioning overheating sensor that turns it off if it gets too hot or I could just overheat from friction=) check it out!
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2009, 04:59 PM

Post model+serial #,located on a tag under the seat.

Then I could give you more info.

Mower_Man

May 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
    I have a craftsman 3 blade with the deck off I use it as a way to pull my about down to the lake you lol at me cause you try to pic a old man ding this no I'm 13 and my koler 23 hp moter and crraftsman body won't mosve how do you tightin the belt
    wasup Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 09:32 AM

Craftsman riding mower 3 blade 23 hp kolermoter but it won't move how do u tighten the belt
    wasup Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wasup View Post
    craftsman riding mower 3 blade 23 hp kolermoter but it wont move how do u tighten the belt
    Delete this it said it dident eork
    junkdawgs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 03:53 PM
    I found a craftsman rider road side after adding gas and charging battery, It started and drove fine but the second I engaged the blades it cut out!! It was the seat switch I pull it out press it with my hand and all was good! Let go and it died ! So I pull it out and it stay on :') P DAWG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

17.5 Murray riding mower 3 blade deck belts [ 5 Answers ]

I have this riding mower and need to know the # for the blade engage belt. The one on there is too big..

Craftsman 11hp riding mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who has an old Craftsman 11hp riding mower and is having some problems. The ignition switch was broken and has been started with a screwdriver until it finally broke. I got a replacement switch today and installed it and now as soon as it is put in the "on" position the engine...

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

View more questions Search