Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Thinkpad laptop
    Ok so my son has a Thinkpad laptop. Trying to connect wirelessly keeps getting the error message "network cable is unplugged". When he installed the belkin adaptor it found the livebox connection but it just won't connect obviously due to this cable being unplugged. What is this and where does he find something to enable it. He has no manual with this laptop which is fairly old.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 01:34 PM
    That message simple means that its not detecting a network connection. Call Belkin tech support.

Aug 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
    This must be detecting a network because it found my internet connection, all is fine on that side, the belkin shows on the task bar and the little green light on it flicks, but the two little computers on the task bar have a red X through them and there is no way I can enable them - I have heard that I need to switch the network on, but where on this thinkpad - it is an X21 (fairly old)
    Sorry I must sound very confusing!
    Thanks

Aug 21, 2007, 05:49 AM
    I have a T22, similar model. There is no place to "switch the network on". If you have both a wired and wireless network adapter in the machine (which you do if you are using an addon wireless adapter, then one of the paired computer icons is for the wired connection. If there is no cable plugges in THAT connection will show that message. Sounds like you are getting the two connections mixed up.

Aug 21, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Thanks... lol I'm not so clever so please bear with me. (sorry)
    I have used this laptop with a wired connection - no problem
    Now I got this Belkin thing which I was told is all I needed to go wireless - now I'm confused - do I need something else?
    I have two icons on the taskbar of 2 screens with X through them?
    Sorry, I hope you have patience lol
    Thanks

Aug 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Do You have a wireless router? If so, then Wireless network adapter is all you need. But it has to be configured.

Aug 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Well I have a thing called a "Live Box" and my daughter is using her laptop wirelessly from this so I presumed the other lap top should also work. What do I need to configure and how. I really am sorry, Im doing my best here but sometimes things get beyond me lol
    Thanks

Aug 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Umm what is this live box? Brand and model #? Did you read the instructions that came with the network adapter?

Aug 22, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Yes I read the instructions with the network adaptor and what I don't understand is how this adaptor knows that I am on Orange LiveBox if it is not working properly. Sorry I am sure you are confused. Orange Livebox is my internet connection and it is a box that you can also use your telephone through and your internet connection. My daughters laptop was not problem as it is new and the guy in the computer shop told me that all I needed for the thinkpad was this Belkin thing, which I am sure is working as I said because it shows me my internet connection (and my neighbours lol) but I cannot connect as "network cable is unplugged"
    Thanks

Aug 22, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Ok is this what you have?

Orange - Livebox Wireless Modem

If that's the case, then you should contact the tech support of your service. They should walk you through how to configure the network adapter to connect to the Live Box.

And forget the network cable unplugged. You are getting that message from the WIRED ethernet adapter not the wireless one.

Aug 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Ok thanks will get onto them now
    Your help is much appreciated

Aug 22, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Keep us posted

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IBM ThinkPad T60 Model Laptop In Ethiopia Tigray [ 2 Answers ]

I have an IBM ThinkPad T60 Model Laptop. When I format the Hard Disk & Install a New Window Xp Service Pack 1 It can't Detect the driver for example Modem,Nic Sound etc. How can I get the drivers from the Intenet. Please Help me

IBM Thinkpad [ 2 Answers ]

Couple questions... I have a PIII IBM thinkpad laptop. It turns on the lights turn on I can hear the HDD and cdrom running but no image comes on the screen. I am almost sure it is the motherboard. But some are talking about a video sub card. I am fairly new to laptops soooo is this just a fancy...

ThinkPad losing time [ 3 Answers ]

My IBM THINKPAD is losing time. From 100% charge several days between use the PC clock looses more than 60 minutes. My question is should I replace the main battery or is this a sign of a different battery inside going bad. If it is not the main battery should I send it to the shop for replacement...

ThinkPad boot problem [ 2 Answers ]

WHen I try to boot my ThinkPad I get the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I have not had problems in past nor have I made any recent changes. Any suggestions to get back on line. My OS is windows XP PRofessional

I need help with opening a 390x ibm thinkpad laptop [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: If anyone has a manual that has the instructions on how to open or as they call it I think disassemble a IBM thinkpad 390x 2626 I would appreciate a copy of just this section please... I have taken the screws out of the back and popped the top but it will not go past halfway it appears...

View more questions Search