Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngozi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Cyrus
    I have been reading "The Histories" by Herodotus. In the section about Persia Herodotus discusses how Astyages plots to kill his grandson Cyrus. If anyone is familiar with this story, could you tell me wh you think that Astyages treats his infant grandson like a potential rival rather than a possible heir to his family's empire?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 24, 2005, 02:08 AM
    Check this link,

http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrus_I/cyrus.html

Aug 24, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Thank you for the link. I read through it and it contains interesting information about Cyrus, but it does not address my question. If Cyrus is Astyages's grandson, why does Astyages view Cyrus as a potential usurper of the throne? One would think that Astyages would welcome a prophecy (he had 2 dreams) about a grandson who would rule Asia. Any thoughts?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 24, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Several versions of Cyrus birth and rise to power are recorded. Herodotus (i.95) mentions three. In that which he quotes (i.107), it is said that Mandane was the daughter of the Median king Astyages, who, in consequence of a dream which he had had, foretelling the ultimate triumph of her son over his dynasty, gave her in marriage to a Persian named Cambyses, who was not one of his peers.

Taken from (http://www.searchgodsword.org/enc/is...i?number=T2485)

Seems like a good reason.

Aug 24, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Thanks for the clarification... It makes sense to me now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search