Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandgrunt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 11:08 AM
    Advice on paternal rights...
    I'm a U.S. Marine stationed in N.C. My wife and I have been separated and my lawyer has now filed the divorce paperwork with the courts. I recently found out that our 14 month old is not mine. No question about it, he is not mine. Our divorce was uncontested until now (I think). She wants me to sign over paternal rights before she signs the divorce paperwork. I have no problem with this. How do I go about doing it? Does she have to request it? I know once she receives the divorce paperwork she has 30 days to send it back. If she does not send it back what are the reprecushions? Basically it boils down to the fact that she is driven by chaos. This is one of those rare situations where the wife has been mentally abusing for the whole marriage and looks to hold stuff above my head any chance she gets. I just want to get through this. Thanks in advance for any help given.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 06:27 PM
    Have your attorney amend your divorce petition to include a clause to the effect that you are not the child's biological father and that you surrender any and all visitation rights and your ex likewise surrenders any right to seek and collect child support benefits. Once the two of you sign it it becomes binding and that should settle everything.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Divorce
    Hi,
    Very, very good advice by the other person's post to your question about getting the divorce documents amended by a lawyer stating this child is not yours.
    This will save you many, many heartaches and court appearances in he future by your ex wife. Sounds like she is the "never forgets" type, and would do anything to make your life hell; now or in the future.
    If you don't have this changed showing the child is not yours, you will later be sued for child support; I guarantee it!
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Paternal Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I fathered a child with someone. (Yes, I know it was foolish.) My problem is that the mother has turned this in to a power struggle. We have agreed that in this situation an adoption is the best thing for the child. The mother does not want me involved in any way. She wants me to sign over my...

Grandmother's rights [ 7 Answers ]

I also have a situation arising about grandmother's rights. I just found out that my son's partner (with my granddaughter) have separated. The mother does not seem to want to allow me to have regular visits with my granddaughter, which I have been trying to establish over the last year since she...

Renters Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just signed a rental lease and paid the first months rent plus a sizable security deposit. Two days later she found a bigger and nicer house for the same price. She called the first landlord and explained the situation. The first months rent was returned but none of the deposit. They...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

View more questions Search