Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Aug 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
    What's the point of marriage anyway.
    BACKGROND(I'm engadged to a cool guy for 3 yrs in Oct. Love him lots, etc etc no questions there. BUT of late he's been able to find job's within the field he likes. Job's that take up all his time and force him to leave home for weeks with 2 days to see each other in between, when he comes home he either wants to watch a movie with me I don't want to watch or wants to do his own thing. I get he works a lot and needs to chill. I just am getting tired of being alone all day, then again at night. Yea I got no job and where we live at moment no way to get a job. So I take care of the house. I'm alone all day, I don't have friends nearby and no one my age nearby. All the friends I thought I had were fakes.)

What I am saying is what is the point is getting married if you never see each other? If you can't ever hangout or share time, because one or the other person is too tired, needs their own time etc etc. What does that do to a marrige? And why does he say he likes having me round, that hanging out isn't exciting anymore because we been together for 3 yrs. He's "used to me".. that don't make me feel too good. I guess I'm just worried that for the rest of my life I'm going to be lonely when I really don't want to be. That I wolnt have a family (kids because he hates them). How do people juggle work and family... I mean honeslty. *sigh*

FYI- my fiancé loves me and I love him, so there isn't the option of breaking up or taking time off. We don't need that. Ty for any help.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 07:41 AM
    My husband and I have been married for going on 4 years. He is in the Navy and is gone ALL the time. When he was on a ship, he would be gone anywhere from 2 days to 6 months. It was hard, I will admit, especially since I was pregnant with our first boy while he was on deployment.

Well, he got injured and got removed from the ship, and is now in a squadron. He is STILL gone a lot. He works a normal 8 hour day, but his schedule varies all the time. For example, this week he worked 6:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. next week he works 10:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m. and the week after that he works 2:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. I honestly never know when he is going to be home.

What I have found from being married to someone with such a hectic schedule is that I always look forward to seeing him the next time I see him. When he does come home its so exciting, almost like I haven't seen him forever. We go out to dinner, to the beach, to concerts or when we don't have the cash to pay for something to do, we just go for walks. We do anything to spend time together when he has the time to spend it.

I know for some people never seeing each other can ruin their marriage, but as for me, it makes mine stronger. I feel that if you are around someone 24/7, 365 days a year, you get bored and run out of things to say and do. If you go a little while without seeing each other, there is always something new with both of you that you can tell each other, and there will always be something to do that you haven't done in a while.

And the fact that he said he's "used to you", don't take too much offense to that. It happens to everyone. He could have said it a little more carefully, but it does happen. It just means you are comfortable with each other in your relationship. :)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Just because you love each other, doesn't mean you're in a good relationship. You have to decide if being apart is manageble and if you're up to it. Every married person needs alone time and some of their own interests, but those should never come before their spouse's needs. If I need alone time, I let DH know and he does the same which works for us. However, I never take alone time if he has an event he'd like me to attend, etc. If I only ever want alone time, then why am I married? There's a fine line... I've known people who got married to be married. Never having anything in common, always alone but in the same house at the same time, etc. They were together for a long time, so tied the knot. Whoopie de do! I'm with you.. why bother?

Personally, we just made it official, but we've been together for 8 years and living together after only 2 weeks of dating. We actually met at work so we spent 24 hours a day together for 3 years and in 8 years we've only spent 4 nights apart (for work travel). We're the opposite of Nautical's example, but it works for us. Marriage isn't easy all the time, but it should still be worth fighting for and only an individual can make that decision. Individual situations, you know? You have to be in the right situation that makes you both happy.

My concern for you is what you said about family. If he doesn't want a family, is that something you could live with? It sounds like you might regret not having one. THAT is a big factor in going through with a marriage. I have a friend now who's become an emotional wreck. From the beginning of their relationship, her DH said No kids EVER. She agreed and they got married. Now, 3 years later she's desperate for kids and he won't change his mind. In fact, he said he'd leave her if she got pregnant. She's admitting to friends (not him yet) that she lied at the time and thought marriage would change his mind.

Be really sure before setting a date. If you have no doubts and no reservations, go for it. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with being engaged for a while. :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
    I agree with nauticalstar that I would think I would rather not be with my hubby 24/7(dont get me wrong we love each other and love being together).
    Both of us need time doing our own thing.
    He is always busy with work but we make it a point to find time together even if not alone(like we take our daughter for a swim,or walk or even shopping ).

There was a time before my daughter was born that I found too much time on my hands and got easily bored (and there is only so much you can do at home or watch on tv).
    I found some good books to read and took up my old hobby of painting and handmade card making.I even started to learn sewing(on my own), and even made some of my own lingerie (not sophisticated as the readymade ones,but hubby loved them).
    Maybe Ray you could find a hobby to your liking and who knows it might just turn into a money making hobby.

I know and understand that each relationship works differently, maybe you two should discuss what both of you like doing and do those things when you have time.As you love each other you will find a way to compromise. Maybe you should start writing letter to him, so that when he gets back you have something to read together.

Marriage must not be about one person but two(or three, if you have a kid).It should not be just about YOU or just about HIM,
    It must be about both working towards a future where both of you can find yourselves as separate individuals,but at the same time have similar goals, that will build a relationship to provide a healthy environment ( which if you may plan to have children will give them the best environment).

Hope you find what you are looking for in your relationship .:) :)

Aug 17, 2007, 09:27 AM
    In regard to the family issue my hubby is 19 and I think still young in that idea, but I'm 21 and a girl.. lol so I guess that's why the differ I'm opinion. It does bug me he's "used" to me. It's like he doesn't care about being with me, because as long as I'm round he's happy. But I'm just not. Im not the type to want alone time, I already have it lol. I love him to death and I don't want to end this relationship, in my heart I know were meant to be. But this workinjg all the time, never having time for a life is old. Maybe I'm just imiture, but I can't help it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynefreak
    In regard to the family issue my hubby is 19 and i think still young in that idea, but im 21 and a girl..lol so i guess thats why the differ im opinion. It does bug me he's "used" to me. It's like he doesnt care about being with me, because as long as im round hes happy. But im just not. Im not the type to want alone time, i already have it lol. I love him to death and i dont want to end this relationship, in my heart i kno were ment to be. But this workinjg all the time, never having time for a life is old. Maybe im just imiture, but i can't help it.
    Have you tried talking to him about the whole situation? Isn't there a well paying job he can get that he is interested in and he can still be at home? If not, are you able to move for him to be able to get a job like this?

Aug 17, 2007, 09:31 AM
    And he's calling me selfish... that makes me sad cause I really don't understand how I am selfish

Aug 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Have you tried talking to him about the whole situation? Isnt there a well paying job he can get that he is interested in and he can still be at home? If not, are you able to move for him to be able to get a job like this?

Not really, we tallked last night because I broke down. He thinks I'm selfish. As for the job, its with the government you do what they say. It's the first and only big break we had or see. Plus the money is well.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Not really, we tallked last night because i broke down. He thinks im selfish. As for the job, its with the government u do what they say. It's the first and only big break we had or see. Plus the money is well.
    I, myself, don't believe you are selfish for wanting to spend more time with him. You're human, and you love him, so wanting to see him more is a natural feeling. And I know how it is with the government jobs, trust me. I don't personally like them, but they do provide very well.

What exactly does he do that requires so much travel? Is he in the military?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 09:38 AM
    In all honesty him being "used" to you should be a compliment. He is comfortable with you, he enjoys just sitting and watching a movie with you. Yadda yadda yadda

If he was not used to you after 3 years that should be cause for concern.

I think the problem is more yourself than him. You spend way too much time alone and it is cutting away at yourself confidence.

Yeah, he's gone for long periods, but he does this so that the two of you can have a life together. A better life than the one you had when you joined this site. So, in a sense I can see why he may be saying you are being selfish.

I have been with my husband for 16 years now. I have spent almost a year with him 24/7, while it was nice, it got a little intense at times. He is now gone all day and early into the evening.

I really think you need to look deep inside yourself and find out why you are not happy. This has more to do with you than it does him. Really it does.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Aug 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Hello.

The amount of time you spend together isn't the problem, if you have half a day a month and you make every sec. special you can make it together. The problem is the spark is gone and you need to get it back. You have to start doing all the little things you did at first to make things exciting. Its not going to change quickly but it will change if you Love each other.

Next you have to get a life that makes you happy so when your not together you can enjoy yourself. If you can't find work then start a hobby. You have to do something so your not sitting around thinking about what you don't have. You need to be excited about what you do have and planing special things for the time you have something.

Dennis777

Aug 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I, myself, dont believe you are selfish for wanting to spend more time with him. You're human, and you love him, so wanting to see him more is a natural feeling. And I know how it is with the government jobs, trust me. I dont personally like them, but they do provide very well.

What exactly does he do that requires so much travel? Is he in the military?
    He fixes pc's for the government/milatry. He has to go where they need him.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
    He fixes pc's for the government/milatry. He has to go where they need him.
    Ahh okay yeah I can see that now, how it would be very time consuming.

If he doesn't want to switch jobs because the money is good, all you can really do is make the most of the time you have together. I know it is stressful, but if you love each other enough you can make anything work.

Tell him to meet you half way. Ask him if he would do something besides "just hang out", so when he leaves his time home sticks out in your mind. Does he have any leave days in the books? You could try taking a spectacular vacation together. Something where you don't have to think about work or your everyday worries, where you can just spend time together and enjoy each other.
    vidds Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
    BACKGROND(I'm engadged to a cool guy for 3 yrs in Oct. Love him lots, ect ect no questions there. BUT of late he's been able to find job's within the feild he likes. Job's that take up all his time and force him to leave home for weeks with 2 days to see each other in between, when he comes home he either wants to watch a movie with me i dont want to watch or wants to do his own thing. I get he works a lot and needs to chill. I just am getting tired of being alone all day, then again at night. Yea i got no job and where we live at moment no way to get a job. So i take care of the house. I'm alone all day, i dont have friends nearby and no one my age nearby. All the friends i thought i had were fakes.)

What i am saying is what is the point is getting married if you never see each other? If you can't ever hangout or share time, because one or the other person is too tired, needs their own time ect ect. What does that do to a marrige? And why does he say he likes having me round, that hanging out isnt exciting anymore because we been together for 3 yrs. He's "used to me"..that dont make me feel too good. I guess im just worried that for the rest of my life im gunna be lonely when i really dont want to be. That i wolnt have a family (kids because he hates them). How do ppl juggle work and family...i mean honeslty. *sigh*

FYI- my fiance loves me and i love him, so there isnt the option of breaking up or taking time off. We dont need that. Ty for any help.
    There are lots of options to kill lonliness. Actually just get busy. Because you know Idle mind is a devils workshop. There will be lots of opportunities with your favourite hobbies. Just check it out and start living your life instead of just wsting precious time waiting for him. He will slowly und once you get busy and you do not have time for him.

Don't waste this free time. Do things you have always wanted to do and enjoy life. Thinga take time to work out.

And think positive. Do keep in touch . Take care and smile a lot
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 10:22 AM
    What i am saying is what is the point is getting married if you never see each other? If you can't ever hangout or share time, because one or the other person is too tired, needs their own time ect ect. What does that do to a marrige?
    Dealing with situations like that is what defines the strength of a marriage. One spouse works nights, the other days. One spouse is home all day with small children, the other works with adults and has intellectual stimulation. One spouse goes on a solitary vacation doing something the other spouse would hate, and so the stay-at-home spouse has a wonderful time doing special things the traveling spouse would hate.

Married couples don't march lock-step with each other, but make a point to set aside time together to share the adventures they've had while apart from each other.

Do you have a car? Can you walk somewhere? Can you pick up a hobby or two? Can you plant a garden or grow potted plants? Can you read books? Can you do crossword puzzles? Can you work on cooking and baking skills? Can you volunteer somewhere, say, at a hospital or nursing home or animal shelter or library? What adventures can you have, adventures that will make you a more interesting person and that you can share with him when he comes home?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 10:40 AM
    No kids, no job, no friends, no hobbies, no interests of your own. You have allowed yourself to be isolated within your home, and that must change, as you would gain much by just having a life that makes you happy. For your age, school is the thing to do, as new skills and knowledge will not only help get you employed, but also be around some interesting people. It affords your mind something to do that's worth while, and if that's not enough, volunteer all that alone time towards those that cannot do for themselves, and need you, and watch the ego and self esteem, go up the scales. The key is do something that benefits and entertains you, and your attitude will change and no doubt the quality of life with hubby(soon to be?) will be much better.

Aug 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Thing is I can't go anywhere. No extra car, no money for one, no money to do anything go anywhere or take vacations. He doesn't like to take off work either. We need our money to pay bills and credit and save. There isn't any place to work or visit round here, there is only apartment buildings. I can't do anything because we do live in a apartment its not our home. I play vid games all day, watch moveis clean. . Lol that's hobbies? I don't know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
    You can go to college can't you? Yes, there are grants that you would most likely qualify for that will pay your tuition. One school in your area even provides transportation.

You see, the problems you are having are within yourself and yourself esteem. To have a healthy relationship you have to be healthy with who you are.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Hey Ray
    Maybe there are people who need to have their dogs walked, or an invalid who needs grocery shopping, or someone who needs something done for them like cleaning,gardening,water the lawn etc.
    Is there a possibility?

BTW I like your signature,
    Why not try living up to your slogan :)
    I REFUSE to be a product of society, society will be a product of me!

Aug 17, 2007, 12:22 PM
    I've tried the cleaning thing, no one wants them cleaned because they can do it themselves for free, one women told me bluntly. Ppl put up job posters at the mailbox, but none have been up lately. J I can't go to college. I have to get my G.e.d. which I'm actually working on now after putting it off for some time. (for those who don't know, my quitting wasn't my choice it was my parents fault entirely and truthfully) So once I get that I might be able to consider college. But I doubt it, id rather just get a job. I'd still have to pay something, and I don't have the money. Plus I don't know what I want to do, I'm not good at much of anything. All the colleges round here are not what id want to go to either, so I was planning on skipping that part. I don't think I was meant for it. But ty for the thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage and divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this question yesterday and I don't think people understood what I meant.. so I will try again... How likely is it that you divorce your spouse and remarry him 4 years later that it will work out. Does any body believe that it can it was a very nasty divorce... I just don't think 2nd...

Marriage [ 2 Answers ]

I want to marry an illgal mexican immigrant

Sex Before Marriage [ 4 Answers ]

Well I've just turned 18 and have being going out with my boyfriend for the past 2 years, since I turned 16, he lives in italy and I live in london, and this has been hard for the last two years I see him about 4 times a year but this way I get to focus on my education so it is cool. But sex and...

View more questions Search