Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Pepsi Cola
    Hi,
    Pepsi has a new "patriotic" can, coming out with pictures of the Empire State Building, and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. However, Pepsi left out two little words on the pledge, "Under God." Pepsi said they didn't want to
    Offend anyone.
    How about the majority of the American Public? Who are Christians?
    It's about time the majority started fighting back with "don't want to offend anyone" about God. I am offended by Pepsi!
    If you are a Christian, don't buy any product with these labels.
    Thank you for reading this,
    fredg
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Aug 23, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Personally, I don't think it was an "accident" as Pepsi stated... are they to say that the hundreds of workers there didn't realize that those words were omitted?

I would really appreciate if they put that in or just left out the pledge all together.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Not eveyone believes in God and wants to have it shoved down their throats. Religion is a personal matter, stop trying to convert others and let people live their lives.

Aug 23, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Very true, although I may be religious, I DON'T believe in shoving it down other people's throats. I believe people should be able to make their own decisions.

I think the pledge part of the can should just be eliminated altogether.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 23, 2005, 03:02 PM
    I would be very upset if they did include the Pledge but left out "Under God". I went their site and on their home page they state it is a rumor and not true. Dr. Pepper had a can in 2001 that had One Nation... Indivisible showing our freedom or something. If you go to pepsi.com you will find this. Here is the link from Dr. Pepper http://www.dpsu.com/drpepper_can.html. There seems to be a lot of stuff going around on the Internet about companies not being sensitive to the soldiers needs and things like that I have found to be untrue. I think as Americans we need to be careful what we believe. I have believed many of these myself but now I really don't get to upset and am careful who I boycott.
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Majority or not
    I am of the opinion that "under God" in the pledge and "in God we trust"
    On our money should be removed altogether.
    There was a good reason that we as a nation decided that there should be separation of church and state.
    How would you like it if the Mormons were in charge and every man had to have more than one wife,or satanist were in charge and you have to worship the devil!
    Too many wars have been fought because of religon,and still are today .If you think I'm wrong just watch the news
    I would ask you Fredg would God approve of you trying to force him on us
    By making it unprofitable for anyone not of your opinion
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 05:05 PM
    Looks like old Fred got caught in another internet hoax: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/undergod.asp
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Just when I though I could agree with Fred for once. Those of you that don't like ''under God'' in the pledge are free to vote for those pledged to remove it. I am free to vote against them.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 12, 2005, 03:51 PM
    To Fredg and others who are up in arms about pepsi
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Pepsi has a new "patriotic" can, coming out with pictures of the Empire State Building, and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. However, Pepsi left out two little words on the pledge, "Under God." Pepsi said they didn't want to
    offend anyone.
    It's about time the majority started fighting back with "don't want to offend anyone" about God. I am offended by Pepsi !!
    If you are a Christian, don't buy any product with these labels.
    Thank you for reading this,
    fredg

There is nothing as unbliblical as bearing false witness aginst your neighbor, even if you live next door to the Pepsi-Cola Co.

Check this out.

Although there once was some truth to the item quoted above, the information it contains is long outdated and never had anything to do with Pepsi or Coca-Cola. Neither soda company is producing, or has ever produced, redesigned cans bearing any portion of the Pledge of Allegiance or an image of the Empire State Building.

This issue concerns a special patriotic can design produced by Dr Pepper back in November 2001, a can which was marketed for a limited time and has been off store shelves for three years now (since February 2002).

The brouhaha began in mid-November 2001, when the Dr Pepper soft drink company, in response to the terrorist attacks on America a few months earlier, introduced a new can design featuring the Statue of Liberty with the words "ONE NATION . . . INDIVISIBLE" from the Pledge of Allegiance displayed above it:

Dr Pepper did not print the entire Pledge of Allegiance on their cans while leaving out the words 'under God'; they invoked the Pledge of Allegiance by using a mere three words from the pledge. However, because the three words Dr Pepper chose to use were the words surrounding the phrase 'under God' (which was not itself part of the original pledge as written by Francis Bellamy in 1892 but was added to the pledge by an act of Congress in 1954) the new patriotic can design prompted calls for boycotts from some nutty religious groups and news media who maintained that Dr Pepper had "omitted 'under God'" from their version of the Pledge (because it falls where Dr Pepper used ellipses) and publicized the issue by encouraging a campaign of sending e-mail and letters of complaint to the Dr Pepper company:

Dr Pepper has designed a new patriotic can featuring the Statue of Liberty and the Pledge of Allegiance, but they left out the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. When asked why, Dr Pepper replied: "We felt 'One Nation . . . Indivisible' best represented the message we were trying to get across."

Dr Pepper has also used the excuse that wasn't enough room on the can for the words "Under God". The real reason is that the company didn't want to risk offending anyone who doesn't believe in God. Bad timing. After the events of 9/11, that's just not politically correct anymore!

Who but some wayward wandere lost in the wilderness of unreality would say,

I really do like Diet Dr Pepper, but I'm joining the ranks of those who won't be buying another one until new cans are printed that include the whole Pledge of Allegiance. I don't want them to simply yank the cans off the shelves, I want new cans printed with the words, "under God" on the can! And if enough people demand this, we'll get it. Walt Disney, AT&T, and K-Mart all chose to ignore boycott efforts; and now those companies are reaping the financial consequences of their decisions.

This is an example letter that accompanied the email that curcled the globe several times, and is still in circulation thanks to the fforts of people with too much free time. They suggest it can be sent to the unfortunate victim of the latest boycott:

OPEN LETTER TO Dr PEPPER/SEVEN-UP, INC.

President Doug Tough
    Dr Pepper/7-Up, Inc.
    5301 Legacy Drive
    Plano, TX 75024-3109
    Toll Free Number 1-800-696-5891

E-Mail address for Mr. Doug Tough:
    [email protected]

Dear Mr. Tough,

I want to make it very clear that as an American, I am deeply offended that you had the audacity to leave out the all-important words "under God" from our Pledge of Allegiance on your new Dr Pepper cans. It seems you have taken it upon yourself to rewrite our country's Pledge of Allegiance in order not to offend those who don't believe in God.

I also want you to know that I am joining the public boycott of Dr Pepper until such time as you rethink your advertising decision. Yanking the cans off the shelves won't be sufficient to correct this error. I demand you have new cans printed, with the words "under God" included in the Pledge of Allegiance and distribute them!
    Dr Pepper addressed the issue on their web site, saying:
    In recent days, several news media outlets in the country have reported on a special edition Dr Pepper can that was created to show support for the patriotic fervor that has been sweeping America since the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, and to show the world that we are a united nation of people who place a high value upon freedom.

Much of the information being circulated on this subject is incomplete or inaccurate. Here are the facts:

The can, released last November, features an image of the Statue of Liberty along with the words "One Nation . . . Indivisible." The special packaging was designed to reflect our pride in this country's determination to stand together as one. The Statue of Liberty and Pledge of Allegiance were chosen as two of the greatest symbols of American freedom.

Due to space limitations on the can, only a few of the 31 words from the Pledge of Allegiance could be used. The available area for graphics limited the amount of verbiage on the can. Of the 31 words in the Pledge of Allegiance, only three were included. More than 90 percent were not included.

We at Dr Pepper/Seven Up strongly believe that the message on these cans is a resoundingly patriotic, bipartisan message that we are a united nation.

Yeah, whatever.

More than 41 million special edition cans were ordered by Dr Pepper bottlers in portions of a dozen states. Because the limited edition patriotic can is to be retired in February, you will soon see regular packaging graphics for Dr Pepper at your local retail stores.

Although 18 million Dr Pepper cans bearing the new design had been produced by February 2002, the company said they had received only "four complaints from Dubuque" and "200 other negative comments nationwide," and the issue seemed to have largely disappeared along with the cans by March 2002.

However, when a United States Court of Appeals handed down a decision regarding the constitutionality of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance in June 2002, it breathed new life into the Dr Pepper controversy even though the controversial cans had been off store shelves for months. Messages like the following began circulating much more widely than those of the initial campaign from February 2002:

Subject: Dr Pepper Boycott

We called on God on 9-11 so what's wrong with him now?

For those who have not heard, the bottlers/manufacturers of Dr Pepper and their other products, have started a "new" can campaign. They are putting patriotic scenes on them. One, is the Empire State Bldg. with the pledge of allegiance...but...they left off the words..."under God".

They felt it might "offend" some.

I don't know about you, but as a Christian, their position offends me! I am boycotting their products!

They said they didn't "have room" for those words, but yet they had room for "indivisible" on the can! Please pass this along to others and see if we can get a message out to Dr Pepper . . . if having "under God" on cans offends them, then they don't need our money with "in God we trust" on it!

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO YOUR FRIENDS!

Somehow along the way this message morphed into the version quoted at the head of this page, which inaccurately attributes the "Pledge" can design to Pepsi.

Dr Pepper and Pepsi are two completely different companies: Pepsi is a product of the Pepsico corporation; Dr Pepper is a product of Dr Pepper/Seven Up, whose corporate parent is Cadbury Schweppes. (Dr Pepper is produced and distributed by Coca-Cola and Pepsi bottlers in some parts of the USA, but the Dr Pepper company has never been owned by either of those soft drink giants as the Washington Times erroneously reported.)

In February 2003 we began seeing the call to boycott the soda bottler who had omitted "Under God" from its patrotic cans aimed at Coca-Cola. It was the same wording as the summons to arms against Pepsi that had circulated a year earlier but with "Coke" replacing "Pepsi" in the text.

It too was false, as Coca-Cola had had no more to do with the short-lived Dr Pepper cans than had Time Pepsi.

However one may feel about the Dr Pepper can design, writing to the company now and threatening to boycott them until they "put 'under God' back on their cans" is pointless. The patriotic "Pledge" can was produced only between November 2001 and February 2002, it was only sold in parts of twelve states, it has long since been retired, and it has not been available in stores since that one time.

An interesting contrast is provided by Time magazine's 24 September 2001 cover which used the same words in its headline but prompted very few complaints.

Why not speak the truth if, when telling lies hurts people? Do you care?

MORGANITE

:mad:

Sep 12, 2005, 03:54 PM
    ?
    Thou shalt not bear false rumor against thy neighbor -

False Rumor Alert - Patriotic Cans

We wanted to clarify an erroneous report that has been circulating around cyberspace for the past several years. Pepsi has not created any packaging containing an edited version of America's Pledge of Allegiance.

A patriotic package used in 2001 by Dr Pepper (which is not a part of PepsiCo) was inappropriately linked to this rumor. Dr Pepper's position is very clearly articulated at:

http://www.dpsu.com/drpepper_can.html.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2005, 04:55 PM
    Morganite.

Why are you cutting and pasting everything that shows up in the link I posted?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Sep 12, 2005, 07:44 PM
    First off, I don't see how anyone would fall for this obvious of a hoax. That said, Fred does touch upon a very important point.

Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    It's about time the majority started fighting back with "don't want to offend anyone" about God. I am offended by Pepsi !!
    But it just doesn't matter what the majority thinks in this case. Those who think otherwise need to have the Bill of Rights shoved down their collective throats.

In my Humble Opinion, no serious reference to any deity should appear on our currency or in our pledge. However, to be honest, the money that it would cost to re-mint our currency should be spent in more useful ways.

Now that the (Christian) fundamentalists are organized and realize just how powerful they are, they think it is their Constitutional duty and right to shove their dogmatic nonsense down everyone's throats.

The US is, and always has been, a secular nation. But it is now faced with a new, very serious, ideological problem. Fundamentalism is THE single greatest threat to human progress in this century. How do we protect ourselves from a raging mob, each member proud to be ignorant, calling louder and louder for theocracy?

Sep 13, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    Personally, I don't think it was an "accident" as Pepsi stated... are they to say that the hundreds of workers there didn't realize that those words were ommitted?

I would really appreciate if they put that in or just left out the pledge all together.

It wasn't Pepsi, so why would they claim it was accidental? I bet you didn't check with Pepsi-Cola Co.

It was Dr Pepper, and they didn't use the whole pledge, just three words, to make a statement after 9-11.

Sep 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
    NeedKarma - re cut and paste
    I didn't know I was doing it and don't believe I have c/pd everything you have posted.

If I ever do make a quote, it is so that I can answer the point of the post.

MORGANITE

:)

Sep 13, 2005, 07:24 PM
    Yes, I was misinformed a while ago... I see the difference now.

Sep 14, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Research
    If you are a boradcaster or publisher then you have to ensure that the news stories you broadcast or publish are true. That is a legal responsibility.

As this story broke in 2000 and 2001, your reseracher ought to have caught it in his/her safety net.

Check weird stories out at www.snopes2.com/

A couple of minutes saves embarrassment, and might preclude legal action against you.

MORGANITE

Sep 14, 2005, 06:47 PM
    I did not broadcast or run anything along this line, the only thing I've done was comment on it in this forum. Please do not include that with my quotes here in the forum.

If I were to report on it, then YES, I would have done a little more research before doing something such as this. It was just a simple post in the forum, nothing bad or misleading meant by it.
    lover_girl_2300 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Reply to the Pepsi Thing
    Oh my gosh!! That is RIDICULOUS!! Not allowing the words "under God" appear on the Pepsi can? Well, it's written all over money - no one seems offended by THAT, do they? I think people should just chill - America's leading religion is Christian, I mean, we are under God, so they're not offending people who believe in God, which is an EXTREME MAJORITY. That's all I'm saying. It makes me sick.

Thanks a lot.
    And God bless everyone!!
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lover_girl_2300
    Oh my gosh!!! That is RIDICULOUS!!!
    Apparently you do not read threads before you post.

Nov 15, 2005, 09:58 AM
    America's leading religion
    Quote Originally Posted by lover_girl_2300
    Oh my gosh!!! That is RIDICULOUS!!! Not allowing the words "under God" appear on the Pepsi can? Well, it's written all over money - no one seems offended by THAT, do they? I think people should just chill - America's leading religion is Christian, I mean, we are under God, so they're not offending people who believe in God, which is an EXTREME MAJORITY. That's all I'm saying. It makes me sick.

Thanks a lot.
    And God bless everyone!!!
    Who didn't allow the words on the can?

Who's a Pepper?

Claim: A new Pepsi can design omits the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Examples:

[Collected on the Internet, 2002]

Pepsi has a new patriotic can coming out with pictures of the Empire State Bldg. and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. But Pepsi forgot two little words on the pledge, "Under God." Pepsi said they did not want to offend anyone.

If this is true then we do not want to offend anyone at the Pepsi corporate office. If we do not buy any Pepsi product then they will not receive any of our monies. Our money after all does have the words "Under God" on it. Please pass this word to everyone you know. Tell your Sunday School class tomorrow and tell your Pastors so that they can tell the whole congregation. Christians stand up and let your voices be heard. We want the words "under God" to be read by every person who buys a can.

[Collected on the Internet, 2003]

To drink or not to drink?

Coca-Cola has a new patriotic can coming out with pictures of the Empire State Building and the Pledge of Allegiance on them. But Coke forgot two little words on the pledge, "Under God."

Coke said they did not want to offend anyone. If this is true then we do not want to offend anyone at the Coke corporate office. If we do not buy any Coke products then they will not receive any of our monies. Our money, after all, does have the words "Under God" on it.

If you agree with this policy, please pass this word to everyone you know. Coke doesn't have the right to rewrite the Pledge Of Allegiance!! If you do not agree, just erase or delete this message

Origins: Although there once was some truth to the item quoted above, the information it contains is long outdated and never had anything to do with Pepsi or Coca-Cola. Neither soda company is producing, or has ever produced, redesigned cans bearing any portion of the Pledge of
    Allegiance or an image of the Empire State Building. This issue concerns a special patriotic can design produced by Dr Pepper back in November 2001, a can which was marketed for a limited time and has been off store shelves for three years now (since February 2002).

The brouhaha began in mid-November 2001, when the Dr Pepper soft drink company, in response to the terrorist attacks on America a few months earlier, introduced a new can design featuring the Statue of Liberty with the words "ONE NATION . . . INDIVISIBLE" from the Pledge of Allegiance displayed above it:
    Dr Pepper
    Dr Pepper did not print the entire Pledge of Allegiance on their cans while leaving out the words 'under God'; they invoked the Pledge of Allegiance by using a mere three words from the pledge. However, because the three words Dr Pepper chose to use were the words surrounding the phrase 'under God' (which was not itself part of the original pledge as written by Francis Bellamy in 1892 but was added to the pledge by an act of Congress in 1954) the new patriotic can design prompted calls for boycotts from some religious groups and news media who maintained that Dr Pepper had "omitted 'under God'" from their version of the Pledge (because it falls where Dr Pepper used ellipses) and publicized the issue by encouraging a campaign of sending e-mail and letters of complaint to the Dr Pepper company:
    Dr Pepper has designed a new patriotic can featuring the Statue of Liberty and the Pledge of Allegiance, but they left out the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. When asked why, Dr Pepper replied: "We felt 'One Nation . . . Indivisible' best represented the message we were trying to get across."

Dr Pepper has also used the excuse that wasn't enough room on the can for the words "Under God". The real reason is that the company didn't want to risk offending anyone who doesn't believe in God. Bad timing. After the events of 9/11, that's just not politically correct anymore!

I really do like Diet Dr Pepper, but I'm joining the ranks of those who won't be buying another one until new cans are printed that include the whole Pledge of Allegiance. I don't want them to simply yank the cans off the shelves, I want new cans printed with the words, "under God" on the can! And if enough people demand this, we'll get it. Walt Disney, AT&T, and K-Mart all chose to ignore boycott efforts; and now those companies are reaping the financial consequences of their decisions.

This is an example letter that can be sent to the unfortunate victim of the latest boycott:

OPEN LETTER TO Dr PEPPER/SEVEN-UP, INC.

President Doug Tough
    Dr Pepper/7-Up, Inc.
    5301 Legacy Drive
    Plano, TX 75024-3109
    Toll Free Number 1-800-696-5891

E-Mail address for Mr. Doug Tough:
    [email protected]

Dear Mr. Tough,

I want to make it very clear that as an American, I am deeply offended that you had the audacity to leave out the all-important words "under God" from our Pledge of Allegiance on your new Dr Pepper cans. It seems you have taken it upon yourself to rewrite our country's Pledge of Allegiance in order not to offend those who don't believe in God.

I also want you to know that I am joining the public boycott of Dr Pepper until such time as you rethink your advertising decision. Yanking the cans off the shelves won't be sufficient to correct this error. I demand you have new cans printed, with the words "under God" included in the Pledge of Allegiance and distribute them!
    Dr Pepper addressed the issue on their web site, saying:
    In recent days, several news media outlets in the country have reported on a special edition Dr Pepper can that was created to show support for the patriotic fervor that has been sweeping America since the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, and to show the world that we are a united nation of people who place a high value upon freedom.

Much of the information being circulated on this subject is incomplete or inaccurate. Here are the facts:

The can, released last November, features an image of the Statue of Liberty along with the words "One Nation . . . Indivisible." The special packaging was designed to reflect our pride in this country's determination to stand together as one. The Statue of Liberty and Pledge of Allegiance were chosen as two of the greatest symbols of American freedom.

Due to space limitations on the can, only a few of the 31 words from the Pledge of Allegiance could be used. The available area for graphics limited the amount of verbiage on the can. Of the 31 words in the Pledge of Allegiance, only three were included. More than 90 percent were not included.

We at Dr Pepper/Seven Up strongly believe that the message on these cans is a resoundingly patriotic, bipartisan message that we are a united nation.

More than 41 million special edition cans were ordered by Dr Pepper bottlers in portions of a dozen states. Because the limited edition patriotic can is to be retired in February, you will soon see regular packaging graphics for Dr Pepper at your local retail stores.
    Although 18 million Dr Pepper cans bearing the new design had been produced by February 2002, the company said they had received only "four complaints from Dubuque" and "200 other negative comments nationwide," and the issue seemed to have largely disappeared along with the cans by March 2002. However, when a United States Court of Appeals handed down a decision regarding the constitutionality of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance in June 2002, it breathed new life into the Dr Pepper controversy even though the controversial cans had been off store shelves for months. Messages like the following began circulating much more widely than those of the initial campaign from February 2002:
    Subject: Dr Pepper Boycott

Check your source at www.snopes,com

MORGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marketing Coca Cola in Israel [ 1 Answers ]

Were can I get valid information on marketing or market history of Coca-cola or other soft drinks in Israel? Thanks Flair

Difference btwn Pepsi and Coke [ 10 Answers ]

My friend and I are doing a project on the difference between Pepsi and Coke. We found out that both soft drinks have the same ingredients, excpet Pepsi has citric acid in it. Does anyone know what differnce the citric acid does to Pepsi? What is citric acid? What does it do to beverages? Does...

Evaluate the difference between pepsi and coke [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I am doing a project on evaluating the defference of pepsi and coke and I need some ideas. Are class already has the difference in current, taste, strength of acid in the drink. I need help.

View more questions Search