Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capecodder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 10:15 PM
    Painted wood cabinets stained from fireplace
    My kitchen cabinets have become discolored from the fireplace located in the kitchen. What is the best way to remove these stains? The cabinets seem to have a lamenet finish on them and I cannot remove the stains.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 05:43 AM
    By laminate, do you meant the Formica or other brand of artificial material, or layers of real wood glued together and finished?

The artificial stuff should stand up to the harshest cleansers as long as they are non abrasive. What have you tried? Smoke stains usually will yield to caustic. Try letting a paste of baking soda and water set on them. You might try it on an inconspicuous area first. If that doesn't do it, try bleach or peroxide.
    capecodder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 07:52 PM
    Question from Labman
    Thank you for your prompt response! My cabinets are solid wood, the finish is very shiny and someone suggested they may have been varnished before they were installed. I don't know if this information will help or not but here goes: there is no wear on any of the doors (around handles, etc.) but, there are chips on a few places where something has made contact with the doors and all of them go down to the bear wood. I really appreciate your interest.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
    I think nearly all of the cabinets are factory finished now. I am not sure what the finish might be or how well it will stand up to things that will cut the smoke stain.
    dnt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Try using a product called greased lighting. I have used it in restaurants to remove the smoke from toaster ovens on ceilings. It works very well on this. Good Luck
    popshemi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 09:25 PM
    I have wood cabinets. I do not want to paint them, but I would like to stain them with a cherry type stain.
    Any suggestions as to what products should I use?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive residue from wood cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved, and the movers wrapped plastic tape around many pieces of my furniture to keep drawers from opening, pieces from falling out, etc. It seemed okay at the time, but when the tape was removed, some nasty adhesive residue from the tape was left behind on the wooden furniture,...

Window Chains Painted Over - What to do? [ 1 Answers ]

When someone painted the windows of my apartment (a long time ago), they painted over the chains that allow it to open and close. The window opens, but stops short of getting the air conditioner in the window. Can anyone suggest what to use to get the window to open just a bit more? I don't...

Protecting painted outdoor furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what is the best way to protect painted wood from the elements? Normally on bare wood I would use spar urethane,but they say not to use that on painted surfaces.

Stained floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have stains from rubber backed rugs on my bathroom floor, is there any way of getting them off.

View more questions Search