Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vijaythesmart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 09:26 PM
    OS error
    Windows cannot find "c:\recycled\SVCHOST.exe". I am getting this error whenever I am starting my OS. How to solve this error. I am using an WinXP media centre edition.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 17, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Svchost.exe is a program used by Windows but spyware and other malicious programs can use it as well.
    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP Pro

Grab yourself a copy of CClean and see if that gets rid of the issue. If not you might have to use msconfig to try to root out the problem.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 06:35 AM
    If an svchost file shows up in that folder then you got yourself a problem. Update your antivirus program, reboot into Safe Mode and run a full scan.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 08:12 AM
    If you don't have antivirus download AVG, update and run a full scan. It's FREE
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 09:25 PM
    I agree with benn11... I've been using the free version of AVG for awhile now. Works a lot better than the major brand names with slowing you down.

P.S.
    AVG picked up a virus on my laptop that McAffee didn't see. It also got rid it.
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Correction to my post. Should have read "without slowing you down". Sorry for not using spell check on that one.
    ChrisBedford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    svchost.exe is a program used by Windows but spyware and other malicious programs can use it as well.
    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP Pro

Grab yourself a copy of CClean and see if that gets rid of the issue. If not you might have to use msconfig to try to root out the problem.
    CClean won't do it - this is a virus issue. In fact the error is probably coming up because the virus has been cleaned, i.e. the infected file removed from where it was lurking hidden in the trash.

Chances are you will find the registry entry that is trying to start this infected file in one of two places: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run =OR= \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon. Do a registry search from the registry root "My Computer" for "RECYCLED\SVCHOST" to be on the same side, and delete any key you find that refers to this path and filename. Worked for me!
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBedford
    this is a virus issue. In fact the error is probably coming up because the virus has been cleaned, i.e. the infected file removed from where it was lurking hidden in the trash.
    That's my point exactly, CCleaner is supposed to find things like old applications and entries that have no executable. The virus has been removed but there's something somewhere trying to start it up. The offending entry could be in one of several places, including a BHO. In the event it's in a BHO, CCleaner will not find it and the best bet is to try something like HijackThis to locate and remove the BHO.
    frontslash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBedford View Post
    CClean won't do it - this is a virus issue. In fact the error is probably coming up because the virus has been cleaned, i.e. the infected file removed from where it was lurking hidden in the trash.

Chances are you will find the registry entry that is trying to start this infected file in one of two places: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run =OR= \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon. Do a registry search from the registry root "My Computer" for "RECYCLED\SVCHOST" to be on the same side, and delete any key you find that refers to this path and filename. Worked for me!
    Appreciated Chris Bedford, your answer has solved the issue I had. Thank you
    ChrisBedford Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike View Post
    That's my point exactly, CCleaner is supposed to find things like old applications and entries that have no executable. The virus has been removed but there's something somewhere trying to start it up. The offending entry could be in one of several places, including a BHO. In the event it's in a BHO, CCleaner will not find it and the best bet is to try something like HijackThis to locate and remove the BHO.
    Mmmm, "supposed to find" yeah. I guess it's not infallible.

Also be careful allowing CCleaner to do all the cleanups it suggests. I used to tell it to "resolve" all issues found, until one day I discovered I couldn't uninstall anything from the Control Panel - Add&Remove Programs applet: all the [Change] and [Remove] buttons were simply missing. By then it was w-a-a-a-y too late to restore the backups CCleaner makes for you. Cost me a reinstall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE printing error: res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg error [ 15 Answers ]

I have seen about a dozen posts on different Web sites regarding this error. The most common fixes are related to an individual work station. We are experiencing this problem with our Web site and everyone accessing it is unable to print pages that are within frames. I tried the fixes on my...

Oracle Error 12560:tns Protocol Adapter Error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Whenever I try to log in using SCOTT/TIGER userid, I get the error "ORA ERROR 12560:TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTER ERROR". I tried starting the listener from administration-> services, but still the problem persists. Can you please suggest a solution?

Printing Error-Script Error [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to print a window pops up: Internet Explorer Script Error Line:1174 I have tried several things: Quick Restore, checked Script debugging box.

Error 403 [ 7 Answers ]

What the heck? The last couple days I have been getting this error message. I think it says "error 407" just on a blank white page. It happens after I click submit or click on a link from this site. Has it been happening to anyone else? Any ideas?:mad:

Error [ 2 Answers ]

I have a game I tried to download and all that comes up is the message as follows. 16 bit c drive / autoexc.nt system file not suitable. It's a old game that says for win 95 and I have a win. XP does this matter? Thank you

View more questions Search