Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koopakid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 06:39 PM
    How do I swap out sprockets on a bike?
    I've got this pink bike that nobody uses but I like the gears. On the left (or by the petals of bike) it's got 3 gears and on the right (by the back wheel) it's got 7. on MY bike it only has 5 gears on the right and I want to swap them out. Is there a way that I can take off the sprockets so I can swap them? If not please answer my question so I know.:D
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 06:53 PM
    You should refer to them as "front sprocket and back sprocket"

And, if once the items are removed from the original chassis, they fit your, well, then they fit!

There are too many manufacturers to say without you holding them both up to the monitor for us to measure. Lol

Aug 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Do you know how to take them off? And I'm pretty sure they are are the right size. I just need to know HOW to get them off.:D
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
    At the front sprocket, first take off the chain and the pedals and set both aside. Then, on one side of that center crank, there's a large nut that retains the center bearing. Remove that (this is where it gets messy) nut and the whole "crank" will feed out the side.

At the rear sprocket, things work similarly, but instead of pedals you've got a tire and the derailer. Usually the tire comes off and the axle with it (maiking it easier to sork on it, too). On some the derailer is part of the axle, others it will separate.
    Keep plenty of rags handy and watch out for pinching your fingers.

Once you're done, you still got to run the shift cable and their controls. This is pretty big project.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Unless you know someone who is a bike mechanic, I say forget it. You will need specialized tools to remove the cranks (a crank puller) and another tool to remove the rear freewheel/cluster. These are 2 different things so you need to know which is its. Then you need to know whether the 7 speed freewheel/cluster will fit on the rear hub of the other bike. It might not. There is also the issue about the front, the bottom bracket spindle needs to be longer to accommodate a triple chainwheel instead of a double.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
    That's true, what Scott said. I've warned about this becoming a big project. I'm an auto tech so tools slips my thinking sometimes.

This could be a great learning experience but you could end up without two bikes.

Aug 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
    I actually converted and old 3 speed english racer to a 5 speed, dérailleur equipped bike, and that was a project. But that was also many years ago.

I just recently bought a new wheel for my road bike and moved the rear cluster from the old wheel. And that was a job. I did have the lock ring tool, but I didn't have a chain whip and had to jury rig something.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
    I'm currently bringing an old mountain bike back to health. New shift cable and tubes. I like something I can beat on.
    What do you think of the auto-bikes out now? I've never actually seen one but the concept seems worthy...

Aug 17, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Define auto-bike? I tried converting an old Mt bike to linear brakes and I couldn't get them to fit in the rear, so I bought a new bike. The new bike has a suspension front fork.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I haven't seen ads for awhile but the company was called CSA Autobike.
    It was equipped with front and rear suspension but the really cool part was centifically(sp) controlled shifting based upon road speed. The rider never has to shift - going uphill or down, it's always in the correct gear. When you come to a stop, it shifts into the lowest gear.

I had a brochure but my wife made me throw it away (too much clutter) but the price was about the same as most others, around $250 or so. I'm going to Google it.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Here:
    CSA AutoBike The 6 speed Automatic Bicycle

Aug 17, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Yes I have seen a few different versions of automatically shifting gearing systems. But they have never really taken off.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Dang, I'm off into the weeds. I went reading and seems CSA is not doing well. I guess in retrospect, it's good I never got around to getting one. I wonder what failed them...
    Anyway, if everything worked like it's supposed to, I'd be out of work. HA!

Aug 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Thanks for all of the info. I guess it seems too big of a project to do so I'll either just forget it or take it in to a bike shop.:D
    DunceCapDitz Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 05:14 PM
    While CSA never really took off... even with their 30 minute infomercial... Trek is now in the auto-shift bike game.
    They just came out with a cruiser type bike with auto-shift.
    The bike is called "Lime" and it will set you back about 450 clams. (pun intended Cap'n Rich)
    mamaloney Posts: 24, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by koopakid
    i've got this pink bike that nobody uses but i like the gears. on the left (or by the petals of bike) it's got 3 gears and on the right (by the back wheel) it's got 7. on MY bike it only has 5 gears on the right and i want to swap them out. is there a way that i can take off the sprockets so i can swap them? if not please answer my question so i know.:D
    You shouldn't just swap, because you also need a new derailer for more speeds
    DunceCapDitz Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Just a thought...
    Try just changing the rear wheel, then using the adjustment screws, open the travel of the rear derailuer for the high and low gears. You may have enough travel to make it work or just swap deraileurs and put on a new cable. It takes less than five minutes to change a deraileur and about two minutes to adjust the shifting.
    You don't need to mess with the front chainrings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size bike [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a new rider, I'm 5'5'' weigh about 125 lbs and am a woman. What size bike should I be riding? Is a 125 (4 stroke) too small for my size? It feels more comfortable and easy to handle than a 230 or 250.

Bike Riding [ 1 Answers ]

This past weekend I purchased a mountain bike. I want to start bike riding to loose weight and tone up my body between now and July. In addition to bike riding, I also work out at the health club 4 days a week cross training with cardio and weight training. Will this help me to loose weight? If...

Stationary bike [ 1 Answers ]

Will a stationary bike give me the same results as cardio?

Street bike [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling my cruiser and am planning on buying a street bike (bullet). I would like to know what are some adventages of doing this and what are some disadvantages. Also to whoever knows about these motorcycles, what would be a good inexpensive one that would fit me. I mean I am kind of short and...

View more questions Search