Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aks001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 06:33 PM
    Supply Chain Differences
    I have been searching for days for information related to the topic for an assignment due. Perhaps, I am over analyzing. My question is this: What are the differences in supply chains for a B2B and a B2C business? Other than the complexity of the transactions involved I have not found enough information to write a paper on. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Cheryl_Lesperance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 01:00 AM
    Hey Ak!

No, you aren't over analyzing. There are huge differences between the 2 and you can encompass many different and distinct characteristics between Biz-2-Biz and Biz-2-Consumer biz transactions regarding supply chain management.

Start at square one and examine what each one requires. For example:

·Their customers are different. One is consumers, the other is a business. (but, I guess that part is obvious, LOL :D )
    ·B2c transactions would require more security.
    ·B2b transactions would require negotiations, haggling with each other over the unit price, delivery methods etc. That wouldn’t occur in b2c. This would be easier for the electronic storefront to display and promote their product…..online catalogues. That said, needs of the consumer would basically be on a relatively consistent flow….primary suppliers would be in place….not so in b2b transactions if haggling is involved…..thus, would have to shop around for suppliers to fill that specific need/unit price of the finished product and commodity.

The underlying business imperatives are completely different. Strategies developed in one area (B2b) should not be unconsciously carried over to the other ( B2c). B2b transactions extend supply chain efficiencies beyond corporate boundaries. The emphasis is on wringing out the last vestiges of overhead and costs, to the betterment of the bottom line. On the other hand, downstream e-commerce activities are centered on the customer, with greater emphasis upon improving the top line by attracting and retaining clientele. Two different approaches are needed; strategies that serve B2b aspects of e-commerce cannot serve as models for interactions with the consumer. Web shoppers are clearly looking for convenience, while also placing great demands on a retailer’s fulfillment capabilities. Successful e-tailers will both transform their supply chains into value chains for the customer, and incorporate significant customer relationship management (CRM) capabilities into their processes.

In the emerging world of e-business, successful competitors will partition their e-commerce strategies. Upstream, the emphasis will be on improving the efficiencies of the extended supply chain and leveraging the capabilities of suppliers and trading partners. Downstream, the emphasis will be on embracing CRM by personalizing every instance of customer contact, aligning every link of the value chain, improving the fulfillment process, and demanding accountability.

See what I mean??

Hmmm, perhaps my post was abit too late to be of any help to you, :rolleyes: but perhaps it will help someone else. ;) undefinedundefined
    toniwengel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aks001
    I have been searching for days for information related to the topic for an assignment due. Perhaps, I am over analyzing. My question is this: What are the differences in supply chains for a B2B and a B2C business? Other than the complexity of the transactions involved I have not found enough information to write a paper on. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search