Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Painting while pregnant
    My husband and I bought a house that we have been fixing up. Now we are down to just painting everything. So far I have stayed away from all the priming and any painting done, but I am starting to feel bad that he is doing everything by himself. Is it safe for me to paint or should I keep staying away from it and deal with my guilt? I am almost 12 weeks pregnant.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 01:06 PM
    You should really wait until you hit your second trimester if you intend to do any painting. While it isn't advised by all doctors... my doctor said as long as the windows are open and the fan/air is on, and the room is well ventilated, you should be fine. It is more the fumes you are inhaling that you have to worry about. But by the time you are in the second trimester, most major development has occurred, so you are safer... once you venture into the third trimester, you will want to refrain, as your babies lungs will be developing. I painted my son's room about 2 weeks ago... im twenty weeks right now. I would ultimately follow the advise of your doctor though...
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Aug 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Also, if you are using oil based paint do not go into the room until it is dry and aired out. If it is water based (latex) you should be okay. Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation and take breaks often. Other than that I would ask your doctor and see what he/she says.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Please hold off in doing any painting . Is painting worth the risk?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Have you discussed this with your doctor? The primary concern is ventilation.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 16, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I did ask my doctor at my 8 week visit and she said to hold off. I just wanted others advice simply because I feel guilty that my husband is doing all the work while I sit at home taking a nap or watching TV. Right now he is over at the house painting away and here I am sitting at the computer doing nothing. I know it isn't worth the risk and that is why I haven't done any of the painting (except pick out the colors). I just wanted reassurance that I am not overreacting and that I am doing the right thing.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    I did ask my doctor at my 8 week visit and she said to hold off. I just wanted others advice simply because I feel guilty that my husband is doing all the work while I sit at home taking a nap or watching tv. Right now he is over at the house painting away and here I am sitting at the computer doing nothing. I know it isn't worth the risk and that is why I haven't done any of the painting (except pick out the colors). I just wanted reassurance that I am not overreacting and that I am doing the right thing.
    Just remember you are not doing nothing. You are growing another human being, and whether you feel it, it is hard work for your body. :) I wouldn't feel guilty at all.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Just think of it in a different light.I know you feel guilty about not helping, but how much more guilty would you feel if the fumes harmed your baby? I am sure that your husband understands, and I am sure he wouldn't want you putting baby in harms way. Doctor knows best about this, so listen to that advice.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Just tell him you will pay him back with the middle of the night visits with the new baby. Maybe even make him a coupon book for all his painting efforts.
    vidds Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    My husband and I bought a house that we have been fixing up. Now we are down to just painting everything. So far I have stayed away from all the priming and any painting done, but I am starting to feel bad that he is doing everything by himself. Is it safe for me to paint or should I keep staying away from it and deal with my guilt? I am almost 12 weeks pregnant.
    Your first duty is to take care of your baby. Do not feel guilty by thinking of it now. It will all work out when you are with your baby after delivery when you find you have more than a fair share of hard work looking after the baby.

It is important to take care of yourself now. Your baby needs all the help. You need not get to painting but you can see to it that you take care of the other little bits so that your husband is happy painting. Do not harm yourself anyway now. Everye understands. Take care and enjoy yourself

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm looking for a certain painting [ 3 Answers ]

I do not know the artist or the name of the painting, but I can remember slightly what it looks like, it is of a skeleton with a crown on strapped into a chair with white flames burning him and there is another man in the background/off to the side that is looking at him, if anyone knows of this...

Do you know this painting? [ 4 Answers ]

When I was in Dublin last summer I saw a man drawing on the pavement. I'd never seen anyone do it, and I thought it was so cool. He was copying from a painting. It was a young lady on a boat. She had a little parasol with her, if I'm not mistaken, and I also think she was wearing a hat. There was a...

Painting [ 3 Answers ]

What causes new paint to peel of the wall

Painting [ 3 Answers ]

Can I apint on treated wood?

Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting that has paris etching society ny usa at the top and I believe the name is Diane Emmla Leconte. Can you tell me if she is a artist and if so how much is the painting worth?

View more questions Search