Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seiblair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Has anyone every stayed in Pisciotta Italy?
    Hi there,
    I am new to this group, and want to see if anyone has ever visited, or stayed in a b&b or hotel in the beautiful little town of pisciotta, italy?
    We will be flying into rome in October, and staying for 2-3 days, and
    Then moving on to other parts of italy. One of the places we had planned on
    "calling home" for the rest of the time was pisciotta. We will use that as
    Our starting and ending spot before returning to Rome and then eventually to
    Tampa Florida. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated.
    Ciao,

Susan
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Can I just say I'm totally jealous?? What a great trip you have coming your way!

I haven't been to Italy, but I've heard wonderful things about it. There isn't much info on the web about the region you are going to, which in my book means it's probably one of the greatest places on earth. This is the only site I saw with much info:

Pisciotta.net where the happiness lives! - Travel Information Guides - Italy, Cilento, Paestum, Velia, Ascea, Pisciotta, Caprioli, Palinuro, Camerota

Sometimes it's nice to travel without having every detail about the place you are going - embrace the mystery and have a great time! :)
    drnigelc Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
    I haven't specifically been in that area, but the only hotel that I do know about is Hotel le Saline, which is in Palinuro, about 6 or 7 km from Pisciotta.

Hope that helps -- have a great trip!
    Elderwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Susan,
    My partner and I have just come back from Pisciotta a few days ago. We love it there. It is a totally unspoilt little town, perched on a hilltop, with the sea just a 1km walk down a steep path. (The sewer line follows the path, as the little treatment plant is near the bottom of it so you do get the occasional whiff, but the walk down and back is very scenic and great exercise).
    This was our second visit and we stayed a week each time. Main local products are olive oil (the town is surrounded by really ancient olive trees) and anchovies.
    It is not a very touristy destination, so hardly anyone speaks English, but one person who does is the manager of the Conad 'supermarket' (just a medium-sized grocery store) on the main street. There is only one main street, which is the street through town. The rest of it is an ancient, traffic-free jumble of old houses and steps and alleyways.
    Pisciotta is just an ordinary little town with ordinary people going about their daily business. It's bit scruffy in places, with quite a few tumbledown buildings. The real, authentic, southern Italy. That's why we like it. And the local olive oil is superb. Conad sells an organic one, which we love.
    There's one really superb restaurant called the Tre Gufi (3 tawny owls), which has great food and a terrace with a view to die for.
    Market once a week, in the tiny square. There are several grocery stores, several pharmacies, some cafes, a post office (the proper one is closed for repairs but there's a temporary one in a pre-fab building near the square) hardware, electrical store, hairdressers, a couple of gift shops, a tobbaconist, a bank with an ATM. Everything you would need, really. No Internet café though. The nearest we could find was in Sapri.
    There is also a language school called Pisciotta Lingua, but I think they are closed in the autumn.
    Last year we rented a car, but this year we took the train from Rome (via Salerno) and caught a bus from the station up to town.
    There are some great walks in the hills above the town. (The 'town hall' just up the steps from the square has a map). And if you go to Palinuro be sure and take a boat to visit the grottoes.
    We rented an apartment (Casa Sonia) through a German agency called Cilentano
    >Holidays in the Cilento, Southern Italy: holiday homes, apartments, hotels. They have quite a few apartments and you might score a vacancy. Self-catering is a lot cheaper than having to eat out, as you know.
    I don't remember seeing any hotels per se, but the people who own Casa Sonia have a lovely 'agriturismo' called La Locanda del Fiume a Machina. It is perched right on the side of the gorge. There's a description of it, with pictures at Wedding Italy - An Agriturismo and it has its own website at A'Machina - La locanda del fiume :: Azienda Agrituristica :: Pisciotta (SA)B&B there is 40 euros a night in October.
    If you decide to go further down the coast, another town I can highly recommend is Maratea, over the border in Basilicata. We stayed there a few days this year, for the first time, and we loved it. More touristy than Pisciotta but tastefully so. We stayed at a gorgeous hotel called the Capo Casale. See Maratea Hotels - Hotel Capo Casale Maratea Italy
    If there is anything more I can help with, you can contact me through the contact page on my website The Elderwoman Website
    Buon viaggio!
    sabanawo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 01:25 AM
    I haven't been to Pisciotta but I have been to an area near it and I booked my accommodation through Apartments Italy Holiday Rentals Italy Accommodation Italy but you could also use sites like ebookers - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Car Hire & Holiday Packages
    dancewithaguita Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Nov 30, 2008, 12:20 PM

Hello! Yes I have stayed in Pisciotta, Italy. For 6 weeks just about! The people are so nice the view is amazing. It's just a hop skip and a jump from the beach and you can see the Mediterranean from just about every apartment and house. You will most definitely love it. It is very different from Rome of course and its not a bustling center for shopping and crazy night life. But if your looking for a good time, want to REALLY learn italian, love a sense of community etc... you'll love it. I wish I could go now. I miss it sometimes. Hmm other info, its really easy to find places to stay, there are always people renting out their houses because every summer a group from SUNY purchase goes there to stay the summer. I hope all this isn't too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal Immigrant in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Is there anyone out their that can help me? I am 58 years old and my boyfriend is some 22 years old - please do not all go errrr! It does happen. We have been together for 3 years in August, he loves me and I love him very much. We have been living in Italy, him illegally...

Italy [ 2 Answers ]

English speaking and in Italy here...

Hairdryers in Spain and Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'll be traveling from the US to Spain and Italy this summer. Anyone know if my US hairdryer will work there? If not, any suggestions to get one that will work ahead of time? Much thanks.

View more questions Search