Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Saturated Fat in Peanut Butter
    I am trying to reduce my cholesterol naturally rather than medicines. I have been able to get it down somewhat but not enough to make my doctor or me happy. I am going through all the foods I eat. I have heard of all the wonderous things about Peanut Butter BUT it packs a 3-3.5 grams of saturated fat per 2 tbsp. When I cut up an apple I can easily use two servings of PB with the apple.

So my question is this... is the saturated fat in PB the same as that in Animal fat? Is it just as bad for you? I won't stop eating PB as it has lots of beneficial fats but I may need to reduce my quantities of it.

Thanks

Doug
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Your body needs fat to function properly--But, too much can be harmful. You should consume less then 10% (saturated fats) in your daily calories. If your dealing with high cholestrol peanut butter contains some saturated fat or cholestrol, that would be considered unhealthy from a cholestrol point of view, if eaten in large quantities, so it should be eaten in moderation. A serving size would be 2 tbsp, which contains only 3 grams of saturated fat. (Per day). By contrast peanut butter has plenty of unsaturated fatty acids especially oleic acid which is good for your cardio system and no trans fat. Peanut butter is a great source of monosaturated fatty acids which also lower total cholestrol and LDL and Increases (good cholestrol) HDL. Just keep moderation in mind!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Peanut oil has 5 % stearic acid and another 2 % Arachidic acid which is the saturated C 20 fatty acid. These fatty acids are chemically identical to the ones in animal fats. Your body can't tell where they came from. They do not include some of the other objectional materials from meat. Peanut oil is also 61 % oleic acid which is a mono unsaturated fatty acid.

I don't think there are beneficial fats , just less harmful ones.
    dude8888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 01:42 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    I don't think there are beneficial fats , just less harmful ones.
    Actually your body NEEDS fats to run properly. If you follow a 0 fat diet and you will have extreme difficulties with the quantities of food you need to consume in order to provide the same calories, 1g fat 9 kcal, 1g carbs or protein = 4kcal. In conclusion it is absolutely necessary to eat fat as long as it doesn't provide more than 30% of the caloric needs and no more than 10% of those 30% should come from saturated fats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trans and Saturated fats stay in the body forever? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I've been doing googling for the past half hour but haven't yet provided myself with an answer to my question (or fear!) I know that trans and saturated fats can't really be used by the body. Does this mean that once we consume them, that they never leave? Are we ever...

Cocoa Butter [ 2 Answers ]

I think I read on a page that if you use cocoa butter for at least 6 weeks daily that it will lower your melanin count and act as not only a sunblocker but also even and lighten your skin tone.. Im half puerto rican half black and I'm medium brown skin and I just want to get to at least Ludacris'...

Sugarless Peanut Butter? [ 8 Answers ]

I heard there is such a thing as sugarless peanut butter. But I cannot find it anywhere. All the ones I found contains at least 1g of sugar. Just what is the 'sugarless' peanut butter? Is it literally sugarless, or is the minimal amount (1g) considered sugarless? But all the peanut butters...

View more questions Search