Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plaidsushi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 12:36 PM
    1988 Honda Civic DX - Starts & Stops
    I'm having problems getting my Civic to run consistently. It will run for about 3-4 miles and then stall out and won't start again until it cools off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it sounds like it's going to start but it just won't go all the way. It goes through more coolant than it should but when it's running, the temperature gauge doesn't go up any higher than usual. I don't think it's a battery problem because when it acts up, everything lights up and I can still play the radio. And it doesn't burn or leak any oil. I only started having this problem after I left the car sitting for a week.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 22, 2005, 04:25 PM
    Did you try resoldering the Main Relay? What error codes are you getting? Did you read the FAQ?
    plaidsushi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2005, 08:49 AM
    I'll try the main relay and let you know. I read your sticky after I had already posted my question.
    THanks.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Aug 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
    Try everything in the FAQ. Read your error codes, then reset your ECU and try starting it again. Check for error codes again.

I won't be around for the next 12 days... I'm going on vacation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic starts very rough then stalls. [ 16 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I've been reading as much as I can on this and other sites regarding starting problems on 91 honda civics. The information I gained was very helpful and informative, but, I am not 100% sure if my problem is with the ignition coil or igniter or the whole distributor. I...

1988 Honda Civic LX Sputtering and missing [ 6 Answers ]

In my case, I have a 1988 Honda that I paid $750.00 last year for for my son to drive and it has been a good car for that purpose until the recent situations arose. I like to tinker so I thought I would give this a shot before I think about spending $50 to $100/hour at a shop. I have already put...

1988 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do you time the ignition on a Honda. I can't find the timing marks,

91 Honda Civic starts by itself [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic that tries to start by itself with no key in the ignition. It will keep going until you take the cable off the battery. Wondering if this is a starter problem or an ignition problem. :confused:

1988 Honda Civic Won't Start - Stumped [ 7 Answers ]

Would not start, received from sister her boyfriend thought it was fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump (he was half way done when I got the car). Still wouldn't start without ether and high RPMs. Started checking systems, found he had replace the brake power booster check valve with a fuel filter? I...

View more questions Search