Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Forearth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Garnishment of social security
    Are credit card companies able to garnish social security monies... even with a judgment?
    Are they able to take those monies from a bank account?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2007, 09:06 AM
    No to garnishing SS payments, Yes to taking the money from a bank account. They have no proof that the only thing in the account is your SS pmts. So they can freeze the account forcing you to go to court to vacate with proof that the only money in there is your SS pmts.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
    File Motion to vacate Garnishment pursuant to 42 USC 407(a) filing the motin will get you a hearing where you can present this evidence to the court.

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment [ 25 Answers ]

For your information about Social Security Benfits Safe from Garnishment Federal law makes Social Security benifits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or...

Social Security & Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint bank account with my sister and we both deposit funds into this account. My Social Security check is automatically deposited each month. I have just received a Garnishment Notice from the bank that all the funds were taken out of the account for an old credit card debt I have, but...

Social Security Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Can creditors garnishee a person on low Social Security. In other words can a Social Security Check be garnishee? Also can a bank account with only social security in it be attatched?

Garnishment of Social Security [ 4 Answers ]

Is garnishment of Social Security income by credit card companies legal in the State ofTexas

View more questions Search