Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Verbal agreement about what is included in sale
    Hi
    We have recently sold our house and included in the price was carpets, curtains, shed, some fixtures and fittings.
    However, that was not enough for the buyer and she hood winked and blackmailed us into agreeing to leave a considerable amount of furniture and all the white goods.
    She has not informed her solicitor and I told mine that we had agreed to leave what we did not require in our new home.
    We now find that we need the 2 chest of drawers. Can we take these with us. How binding is that verbal agreement.
    Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
    In the US, the sale of a home has to be in writing, and if it is not put in writing as part of the sale it is not binding on either party. Next you are never blackmailed it was always your choice to say no and see what they would do.
    hannah19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Fr_ Chuck,
    Thanks for your reply. I take on board your comments. It shows a degree of my hurt and frustration that I used the word blackmail. However, she did hold up the sale for 2 weeks, knowing we had a deadline. I consider myself intelligent but no good at dealing with devious people. You're right I should have told her to clear off and have more faith in the quality of the home we are selling(uk) I think you have wakened me up to a valuable lesson. Cheers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Unless that person has a witness to your verbal agreement the solicitor wouldn't touch that file with a 10 ft pole.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 06:57 AM
    I think even with a witness they can't win a case. The sale of a home has to be done on paper so these household items would have to have been put in the contract you signed.
    hunting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah19
    Hi
    We have recently sold our house and included in the price was carpets, curtains, shed, some fixtures and fittings.
    However, that was not enough for the buyer and she hood winked and blackmailed us into agreeing to leave a considerable amount of furniture and all the white goods.
    She has not informed her solicitor and I told mine that we had agreed to leave what we did not require in our new home.
    We now find that we need the 2 chest of drawers. Can we take these with us. How binding is that verbal agreement.
    Thanks.
    Is a verbal agreement up holding in court when a man say I will give you this tire but you have to pay me 30$ when you get it he is taking me to a ga court small claims and I signed nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

Verbal agreement [ 3 Answers ]

How can a verbal agreement be enforced (UK) once it has been broken by the other party, in this case an agreement to purchase a boat and given four days to make payment but the boat was sold to another party in the interim

Verbal agreement assistance [ 6 Answers ]

My situation: We are in Tennessee renting from a landlord who lives in California The original VERBAL agreement was "we would rent for three months at $800 a month and in that time he would fix up the problems in the house, then we would rent to own for $1200 a month" We moved in the house in...

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

4 years ago, my mother persuaded my sick disabled sister to move in with her, so that they could help take care of each other. My mother has now relocated to another state and is trying to evict my sister from the home in order to sell it. My sister never paid rent to my mom ( home is paid for),...

View more questions Search