Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lez Posts: 73, Reputation: 7

Aug 16, 2007, 08:09 AM
    PC fix programs
    Hello all does anyone know of any program I can download that will scan my PC for errors and not ask me for payment at the end of it? Thanks for reading x
    Lez Posts: 73, Reputation: 7

Aug 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
    What I mean is a program that will scan and fix any errors
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

Can I fix hazardous steps if a contractor is refusing to fix, and threatens to sue? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Texas. I hired a landscape contractor to install retaining walls and a patio which included 4 steps in stone. These steps range in size from 6.5" to 9.5" and the tallest is on the top! They are very dangerous. He refuses to do any fixes, and walked off project. At one point in the...

Programs didn't come [ 4 Answers ]

When my computer was sent out for repair, it went through the "System Recovery" process. When it came back, it didn't have many programs (it had Quicken, random games, etc. but not much else). I put in the Applications Recovery CD & it added a few more programs (i.e. Adobe Acrobat, Windows Media...

Unknown Programs [ 6 Answers ]

I have a program on my computer called ScheduledAgent and I am not sure what it is. I have looked on the internet via Google and there is mixed results. I am slightly concerned as several results suggest it must be removed immediately. Am I right to be concerned? Also is there any other way of...

Programs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free download that will help me find all the programs on my computer and remove the old, duplicate, or unused ones safely

View more questions Search