Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David A Raborn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Ssi fraud
    My question is, my wife is the durable power of attorney for her mom. She is in a nursing is it legal for my wife to use her moms ssi money for her own personal gain, can she write checks to her self and then sigb her moms name
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2007, 06:09 AM
    With a POA, your wife can certainly endorse those checks. If she is paying her mom's bills, I'm not sure if anything criminal is going on here. At most, her mom might be able to sue her for violating her fiduciary responsibility.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Usually a "durable" power of attorney refers to living wills and the authority to make decisions regarding the administering or withholding of medical treatment when the loved one for whom power of attorney is exercised is incapable of making such decisions for him/herself. What you're describing sounds like a "general" power of attorney. If your wife has been given this, then yes, she can legally sign her name to her mother's checks. However, taking her mother's money for her own personal use is questionably unethical if not illegal. As general power of attorney for her mother, if in fact she is, she should only be signing her mother's checks for her mother's expenses, not her own.
    hbnorlund Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I was under the understanding from SSI that they do NOT accept POAs. They require that you be named Representative Payee. You wife will have to go into the local SSI office and be named Representative Payee. They also require that you submit records of how the money is spent.
    I know this because I am Rep. Payee for my grandmother. They would not accept the durable POA that I have. I had to go through an interview with SSI and they had to do research to see that I was the right person for the job.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
    The above answer is correct-you will also need to keep an absolute accounting of the monies spent and open an account in both names-the recipient and the rep payee. Also, please keep in mind that no SSI recipient can have cash assets over $2000.00. Social Security has a list of what rep payees can spend money on. If she is in a nursing home, it is usuallly advisable for the facility to be the rep payee. If it is a state or federal funded facility, mom may no longer be eligible for benefits as SSI is not payable to claimants who are "incarcerated". It is, however, against SSA regulations for your wife to be using the money for herself unless it is for repayment of money that she has already spent on your mother-you will never know when SSA will knock on the door asking for a bank statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssi disability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina and filed bankruptcy in 2001 and confident I will win my disability case, can IRS or anyone get any of my settlement or monthly check. Any help will be appreciated

My son who is on SSI [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My son is 17 He will be 18, this sept. He also gets SSI, for begin mildy mental retared. SS said that he will be coming up for review, rigth before his 18 B day, I guess this is were he has to apply, rigth, they haven't said anything other wise. (what I want to know is, what are...

SSI reinstatement [ 1 Answers ]

I currently get SSI and Medicaid due to several disabilities. In the future I may get a one lump payment from a family trust which will temporarily put me over the income limit, probably for a few months after I pay off my debts and then I will still be disabled and broke again and in the same...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

View more questions Search