Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosedawn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 07:29 AM
    "Sweat sock" smell, taste in water and ice
    For the last 2 months, the water and ice that come from my refrigerator dispensers has smelled and tasted horrible and mildewy. I removed the (optional) water filter from the unit but the situation has not changed. (The filter was only 6 months old anyway.) Our tap water tastes fine--this seems to be related to the frig hook up. What should I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 23, 2005, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosedawn
    For the last 2 months, the water and ice that come from my refrigerator dispensers has smelled and tasted horrible and mildewy. I removed the (optional) water filter from the unit but the situation has not changed. (The filter was only 6 months old anyway.) Our tap water tastes fine--this seems to be related to the frig hook up. What should I do?
    Hi Rose,

Sounds like you have bacteria growth in your supply line and icemaker. You can replace the ice maker line. Tip: Take the ice maker supply off the hot water supply to the sink. The water will have less oxygen in it and your ice cubes will be clearer.
    The ice maker's a different story. It should be removed and flushed out with bleach. (Call your local appliance repair shop and ask if there's a simpler way to clean a ice maker.) While we pipe to ice makers we don't work on them.
    Cheers, Tom

Aug 23, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Thanks!
    Tom, thanks so much for your reply. I have a plumber coming tomorrow for a different problem, so do I just ask him if he can replace the supply line? Is it a big job? Also... how could bacteria have gotten in there to begin with, and how can I keep it from happening again? Again, thanks very much for your advice.

Rosedawn
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2005, 05:12 AM
    Tom, thanks so much for your reply. I have a plumber coming tomorrow for a different problem, so do I just ask him if he can replace the supply line? Is it a big job? Also...how could bacteria have gotten in there to begin with, and how can I keep it from happening again? Again, thanks very much for your advice.

Rosedawn
    I haven't the foggiest about how bacteria got into your ice maker but that sure explains the moldy taste. Replacing the supply line won't do any good if the ice maker is still infected. The whole thing must be done at one time. Call the appliance repair company on the ice maker. They might have a simple solution. They only way I know is to remove the icemaker and its valve and soak them in bleach. Good luck. Tom

Aug 24, 2005, 06:08 AM
    Thanks, Tom. One more thing-- the water that comes from the water dispenser is also yucky--is it all coming from one line? I assume it is, since the taste is equally vile.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Thanks, Tom. One more thing-- the water that comes from the water dispenser is also yucky--is it all coming from one line? I assume it is, since the taste is equally vile.
    Yes! All the ice and water comes into your refrigerator through the ice maker supply. Let me know how you make out. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Ice maker won't "pull" water [ 9 Answers ]

?? Every day I hear the metal bar in the icemaker drop down, then I hear the freezer pull water to fill up again. Now I hear the bar drop (no ice falling) and no noise afterward. Pulled the fridge out, and vacuumed underneath. My husband checked the water hose, water is running through it for the...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

View more questions Search