Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenoshasquid Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Does Liquor go bad?
    I was always under the impression that liquor does not go bad... the older the better.

What's the real truth? I gave a friend some irish whiskey that I had laying around for about ten years and he said it was watery.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
    I'll have to ask someone who knows for sure, but I'm certain that there is a process to "aging" alcohol.

XenoSapien
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 01:29 AM
    If its been opened then you have to expect some loss of taste and colour over a long period if the drink has sugar and cream in it then it doesn't last forever for obvous reasons.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 02:39 AM
    I would think after 10 years, it wouldn't be good anymore...
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 03:03 AM
    After ten years id have though that was pretty obvious especially if it hasn't been stoored correctly as I said above.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 16, 2007, 03:54 AM
    Whisky only ages when it's in the barrel, never in the bottle. This is a very common mis-conception. After 10 years I'm not surprised it tastes strange! Would you drink anything else that's been say around for 10 years? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia - whisky
    "Whiskies do not mature in the bottle, only in the cask, so the "age" of a scotch is the time between distillation and bottling. This reflects how much the cask has interacted with the whisky, changing its chemical makeup and taste. Whiskies which have been in bottle for many years may have a rarity value, but are not "older" and will not necessarily be "better" than a more recently made whisky matured in wood for a similar time"
    kenoshasquid Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Ok, now that everyone is done laughing at my stupidity, perhaps one of you could give me a constructive answer as to how long it is recommended that a bottle be kept before it is no longer considered consumable. There are no expiration dates, so how is one to know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Liquor license [ 6 Answers ]

Not sure where I should ask this. If I have a club or some private paid for membership organization, do I need a liquor license to give away beer or alcohol. Or any kind of special permit? What if I didn't provide the alcohol, but allowed it to be brought in BYOB style? Thank you in advance for...

Want to open Liquor store [ 7 Answers ]

I want to know what the procedure to opening a liquor store would be. About getting the license how long it takes anything and everything... Can anyone please give me an insight on starting my own business and opening a liquor store... Thank you

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Liquor bottle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 40th Anniv. 1944-1984 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (80 Proof) never been opened. Got it as a gift in the early 80's. It still has the paper seal on the cap. I don't drink whiskey and have toted this around with many military moves. I have to wonder is the product any good...

Who sings the song "brown liquor in a dirty glass"? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song "BROWN LIQUOR IN A DIRTY GLASS" ?

View more questions Search