Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Aug 15, 2007, 01:32 PM
    1985 300ZX Turbo-Reeks of Fuel
    Recently, these past couple of weeks, my 300ZX reeks of fuel inside the cabin.

Sometimes the fuel smells burned, and other times it smells fresh like it's not being burned.

The smell is asphyxiating and I have to open the windows to get fresh air.

My entire exhaust system was replaced from the turbo back about 2 years ago, and I had the turbo replaced so I've ruled out exhaust leaks from that system.

The car also had the fuel injector recall done by Nissan in 1997.

The car has a 3.0 Fuel injected engine. I hope this information helps, and someone can assist me.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 02:41 PM
    It sounds to me like you've either got an intermittent fuel leak (not likely or you'd have noticed the leak by now) or you've got a fuel injector that's hanging open and dumping fuel (so much the engine can't burn it all) and your smelling it.

During periods when the fuel smell isn't distinct, or before you run the engine, pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel in the engine oil. If the oil on the dipstick smells strong of fuel, you'll need to get the injectors tested for leak-down. Soon.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Aug 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    It sounds to me like you've either got an intermittent fuel leak (not likely or you'd have noticed the leak by now) or you've got a fuel injector that's hanging open and dumping fuel (so much the engine can't burn it all) and your smelling it.

During periods when the fuel smell isn't distinct, or before you run the engine, pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel in the engine oil. If the oil on the dipstick smells strong of fuel, you'll need to get the injectors tested for leak-down. Soon.
    I had that same problem on my 1980 Datsun 200sx. The ECU started to malfunction, one of the injectors would be stuck wide open, and gas would p1ss out. The smell was much like what you described. Have you replaced the ECU or modified it at all?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
    . Using a mechanic's stethoscope or a large handle screwdriver, listen to each fuel injector. If an injector does not "click," then remove the connector, check the resistance in ohms, and replace if outside specs.

. Check/replace oxygen sensor, which governs injector duration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Ford E350 Power Stroke Turbo Fuel Filter? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I Have just purchased a 1996 Ford E350 with 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo. I need to locate the Fuel Filter? Thank You to who ever answers this one:) :)

Fuel injecter or fuel pressure regulator ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 gmc sonoma (zr2 package) with a 4.3 motor (engine code W). I sometimes have problems getting it started, when the motor is warm it starts without any problem, but when it is cold I have a hard time getting it started, if I put gas or starting fluid down the throttle body it starts...

85 300ZX Brake Light Flasher [ 1 Answers ]

One of my tail lights doesn't illuminate when I step on the brake. Someone told me it could be the brake flasher. They said it's up under the dash, but I don't have any idea where or what to look for. Could someone show me what I am looking for and where exactly the flasher is under the dash?

1985 Nissan 300zx Head Lamp - they wink! [ 1 Answers ]

I have an '85 Nissan 300zx non-tubo. The head lamps no longer work. The motor lifting the lamps does. It started with the brights. When I switched to brights, they would wink - one would go off then the other as the first turned back on. Eventually, the brights stopped working completely. ...

1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time....

View more questions Search