Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Sierra white cedar fence
    I recently installed a new gate and front fence, using pressure treated lumber and white cedar, dog eared planks.

Anyone have any advice on preserving the fence ? Can I stain it?. What are some of my options..

Thanks in advance..

SWA
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2005, 03:06 AM
    Either stain or paint is acceptable. I prefer stain for fencing.

If you prefer a high gloss or bright color, you might not find it in a stain, and will have to use paint.

It's really just a personal preference - and I think you'll find the preferences for fencing split right down the middle between paint and stain.
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 05:58 PM
    I'm no carpenter but I think if you're going to paint the fence you should let it weather for a year before you do, since it is pressure treated wood. Is this correct?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

03 GMC Sierra HD Tire Size Upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased new tires for my 03 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel. The stock size is 245/75 and I moved up to a 285/75. This changed the ratio on my speedometer, Driver info Center, and Odometer. The DIC cannot correctly calculate MPG, range, or average fuel economy anymore, also the speedometer...

Cedar siding painting [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know that the cedar siding should be primed and painted before installation on both sides or primed and painted after installation just on exterior side ( only one side that is exposed to weather). Thanks

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

Cedar Deck Killing Lawn? [ 3 Answers ]

My sod has been in 4 years and has looked great. Now on the southeast side of the house near my cedar deck it is dying. It is slightly sloped there. Neighbors tell me that is common from the runoff of decks. Is that true? Will it come back with a lot of water?

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

View more questions Search