Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Using mailto links
    I've always used a javascript to "stash" email addresses from bots but of course there's downsides to using it...

I see so many big and reputable sites using straight mailto links. So do they just get flooded with spam?

Is it really true that if I use straight mailto links on my sites I'm guaranteed tons of spam?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 15, 2007, 05:00 AM
    I suppose it really depends on just how publicly available these links are and how good your spam filter is.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Yeah, I suppose the bigger the company the better their filtering...
    What do you mean by "depends on how publicly available" they are? I'm speaking of them being on a webpage.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Aug 15, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    I suppose it really depends on just how publicly available these links are and how good your spam filter is.
    Publicly available? I would say if it is anywhere on the web it is equally available to a bot or spider seeking out email addresses.

I use a form for email so that users send directly to me from the website and my address is hidden in the script.

Here is a free configurable script I have used several times: Free Customized Feedback Form for Your Website: Feedback Form Wizard (thesitewizard.com)

Furthermore, mailto: links only work if you are using a client based email account such as Outlook Express. Many web users prefer a web-based email. I can tell you I have been very annoyed in the past when I have clicked on a link that was not obviously a mailto link and OE opened and asked if I wanted to configure an email account.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    Furthermore, mailto: links only work if you are using a client based email account such as Outlook Express. Many web users prefer a web-based email. I can tell you I have been very annoyed in the past when I have clicked on a link that was not obviously a mailto link and OE opened and asked if I wanted to configure an email account.
    Yep, I'll second this notion. The proliferation of web based mail makes this something to think about. I rarely use and check my ISP email account.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Thanks, ND.

I like forms too and have been using nms more and more lately.

It's got a couple drawbacks though so I'll check out thesitewizard.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:10 AM
    PS - Excellent point on the mailto thing opening the viewers email prog which he may or may not use.

I never thought of it until the past year or so when I switched everything to gmail - and now I have to copy email addresses from mailto links to send email - which of course stinks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 15, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I don't know I turn my back for a minute and you all carry on without me.

Seems you have it sussed out.
    What I meant by publicly available, is the link on a Normally accessible page or do you have to be a member/reg'd user to access the contact info.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Yeah, I meant public page.

Frankly it surprises me that bots cannot pull the email address from this javascript. Seems to me that techies should have no problem telling a bot to pull from it since it's visible in the source code.

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

<!-- 
       document.write("<A HREF='mailto:"+"rick"+"@"+"catholicrecordsociety.org"+"'>"+"Contact"+" Us"+"</A>"); 
    //--> 

</script>
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I can tell you from experience that scraping an email from source code is a very difficult thing to do because there are soooo many ways to code that one line you have that writes out your email address.

Also, as far as the mailto link goes it depends on your target viewers. If you are dealing with professionals or businesses then it's almost certain they are going to be using a client based email system. Even if it's more of a hobby page then I'd still say there's going to be a few more people using client based systems than web.
    (This would be a great topic for a poll on this site. ;)

I have a Yahoo account but I still use Outlook for all my email, even to get my Yahoo mail. It has nothing to do with spam, it's just (IMO) a lot simpler and faster to use than web based email. Although I will say that Yahoo's web mail has come a long way since they first started.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Links [ 3 Answers ]

My computer has stopped responding when I click on a link or on a "click here for further info". I can sometimes go to the linked website by copying the link to the address line. This is a recent development as I have always been able to use all links. I'm using Win98 second addition with MS...

Mailto tag [ 1 Answers ]

I want to set up a mailto link with MANY names afterwards. However, when I set up the link, it only works if I have about 90 names. Anything more than that and the link appears on the page but is not active. Why is there this upper limit, what exactly is it and is there any way around it? Thanks

View more questions Search