Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Washer hook ups in detached garage
    I would like to move my washer and electric dryer from their present location off the kitchen, to the back inside wall of my detached garage.

It is approx. 35' from the back of the house, to the location in the garage. My house has no basement, but has a crawl space underneath. I 've checked underneath the house, and the main 4" sewer line at it's lowest, is 18" below grade, as it exits the front footing, heading to the street.

Question... Am I correct in thinking that the 1-1/2" drain line for the washer, would need 1/8" of fall for every foot?. so it would only have to fall a minimum of 5- 1/2"... for the 35' run?
    This seem do-able... does it not?

SWA

Ps. Just so you know, I am a licensed Electrical Contactor, and have been in the construction industry my whole life.
    Oh, and I live in so. California, so we won't have to be walking through snow to go get the laundry ;-)

SWA
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2005, 09:46 AM
    I think that drop will be fine - especially considering you won't have any solids going through it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2005, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWorksalot
    I would like to move my washer and electric dryer from their present location off the kitchen, to the back inside wall of my detached garage.

It is approx. 35' from the back of the house, to the location in the garage. My house has no basement, but has a crawl space underneath. I 've checked underneath the house, and the main 4" sewer line at it's lowest, is 18" below grade, as it exits the front footing, heading to the street.

Question....Am i correct in thinking that the 1-1/2" drain line for the washer, would need 1/8" of fall for every foot?...so it would only have to fall a minimum of 5- 1/2"...for the 35' run?
    This seem do-able...does it not?

SWA

Ps. Just so you know, I am a licensed Electrical Contactor, and have been in the construction industry my whole life.
    Oh, and I live in so. california, so we won't have to be walking thru snow to go get the laundry ;-)

SWA

You may use a 1 1/2" vent for the washer trap but I would increase to 2" for the trap, standpipe and drain. Back in the 50's and 60's we used 1 1/2" for washer drains and had problems. You're installing a long run with minimum fall so you need all the help you can get. I hope there are no 90's in your drain line. Regards, Tom

Aug 21, 2005, 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the help guys...

I think I will change to 2"...not much cost difference in the long run.

As to the 90's....unless I wan't to sawcut and jack out 30' of concrete patio, yes there will be one. I'm trying to keep the trenching limited to the lawn area. Is there such a thing as a "long" abs elbow, similiar to a long radius electric sweep? Or is having "any" 90's on this type of installation going to cause problems?

Thanks

SWA
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWorksalot
    Thanks for the help guys...

I think I will change to 2"...not much cost difference in the long run.

As to the 90's....unless I wan't to sawcut and jack out 30' of concrete patio, yes there will be one. I'm trying to keep the trenching limited to the lawn area. Is there such a thing as a "long" abs elbow, similiar to a long radius electric sweep? Or is having "any" 90's on this type of installation going to cause problems?

thanks

SWA

Rickj was correct when he said there are no solids in a washers discharge,
    However you have fibor mixed with grease from the soap that builds up at 90's and presents a blockage. If you can't get away from a elbo in the drain line I strongly suggest that you make it a long sweep drainage ell. Cheers, Tom

Aug 21, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Thanks... will do.

SWA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

Detached garage grounding rod or not [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just ran across another problem. I will be running 40 amps 240 volts out to my garage via underground 8-3 plus ground. Do I need a grounding rod at the garage or is the ground via the service cable to the garage enough? I have seen both and am not sure why. Is the 240 volt service to the...

Detached garage panel install, please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am running 8-3 underground in pvc conduit and am wondering: 1. How high up the garage wall I should come up before entering the garage (I guess this means how high the panel will be on the inside as well)? Any code for this or is whatever height is comfortable good enough? 2. Also, I...

Installing Washer Dryer hook-up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there- We just put in offer in on a 3 unit building with two other couples. There is a laundry hook-up in the basement in a common area but all of us would rather have an in unit set-up. Our unit is on the top floor of 3 and has a very large kitchen complete with “Austin Powers-esque” wet bar....

Washer Dryer Hook-up [ 5 Answers ]

I just inherited my sister's 8 year old washer and dryer (gas). The super came by and told us he would need to replace some of the hook-ups, for a total of $170. That seems a little bit expensive. Is that a normal price to replace the washer hoses, necessary clamps and valves, the gas line, etc?...

View more questions Search