Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    figjam007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Cutler roll top desk
    How can I tell if this is the genuine article?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 02:02 AM
    This is a tough one, because if it is the real thing, then it could be worth quite a bit of money. It's very hard to tell without actually examining the piece.

From the following site: Collectibles--General (Antiques): roll top desk

Mark - Cutler is the granddaddy of all roll top desks. The first American patent for a roll top was issued to Abner Cutler, owner of Cutler Desk of Buffalo, NY in 1850. The flexible tambour of his design has been the basis for most American roll top designs since then. The Cutler Desk Co was active at least until 1919. I haven't found anything later than that. Some of the better built models from the late 1800s can run to $10,000 at auction but 20th century models are valued in the high hundreds to low thousands, based on configuration and condition. I suggest you seek an informal opinion from an antiques dealer, preferably one who is more familiar with Victorian furniture than with period furniture. I know of one such dealer in Florida who specializes in late 19th and early 20th century office furniture. I will be happy to provide info if you are interested. Fred Taylor
    It really is not possible for someone on this site who is well-versed in such things to tell you whether it is the real thing or not without seeing it in person. My suggestion would be to follow the advice given in the answer from the site above. There may be an antique dealer near you that can help because they will be able to see it "live."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unlocking drawers on roll top desk [ 20 Answers ]

I have a roll top desk that I purchased in 1988 or 89. I can neither get the top to roll down nor open the side drawers. There are two keys - one of which opens a small compartment on the top of the desk - the other unlocked the roll top. The roll top is now stuck in an opened position and I...

Roll top desk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a small roll top desk at an auction. The insert with the cubby holes is not the origianl one and not the same kind of wood as the desk. I'm looking for a site where I can purchase the cubby hole insert. Thanks for your help Craftyone:p

Movie title? Roll top desk,causing time travel [ 1 Answers ]

Movie kind of like lake house but it is a roll top desk in which a man and woman communicate with letters through the desk. Not sure when movie was made.

Can I back up my desk top onto my lap top? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desk top and a lap top which have wireless connection to the internet. My lap top has no ethernet port and my desk top has no infra red. Can you suggest how I can use my lap top to back up my desk top? Would USB to USB work?

Roll Top Desk [ 2 Answers ]

How does one unlock the drawers? The rolltop lock does not function and the drawers on the left are open. The locking mechanisms are spring loaded hooks that hook over the back of the drawers when they are closed. How do I get the right drawers open?

View more questions Search