Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MOMKNOWWHAT Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
    I respectfully disagree with the negatives about homeschooling and socialize. If acquainting them with ridicule, rejection, physical threats and the rigors of the pecking order is necessary to socialize our children, then I recommend to keep them unsocialize for a little longer.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMKNOWWHAT
    I respectfully disagree with the negatives about homeschooling and socialize. If acquainting them with ridicule, rejection, physical threats and the rigors of the pecking order is necessary to socialize our children, then I recommend to keep them unsocialize for a little longer.
    What do you think happens in the real world outside your house?
    MOMKNOWWHAT Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 02:02 PM
    To remove a child from a classroom - does not mean to confine them to the house. Options are UNLIMITED. There are outings to the park, farms, factories, museums, nursing homes, youth groups, special clubs, friends, relatives. The list is limitless. A simple trip to the store can provide a child with invaluable exposure to the lives and daily life and real adults in the real world. That's what I call socialization at it's best.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMKNOWWHAT
    To remove a child from a classroom - does not mean to confine them to the house. Options are UNLIMITED. There are outings to the park, farms, factories, museums, nursing homes, youth groups, special clubs, friends, relatives. The list is limitless. A simple trip to the store can provide a child with invaluable exposure to the lives and daily life and real adults in the real world. That's what I call socialization at it's best.
    Yep, that's what I did with my kids from 0-5 years old, then it's off to school. Now we do homework together and have outings all the time.
    Mim Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 03:01 PM
    This is Mim's daughter replying: The disadvantage of being homeschooled is that you have to wait until 3:00pm for your friends to come home from public school.
    Seriously though, I was homeschooled my third-fifth grade years and had no trouble adjusting to public school life when I returned. I was and still am an A/B honor roll student. So, there really are no disadvantages to homeschooling. It is NOT socially handicapping like some people who have never been homeschooled believe.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jocase
    Curriculum is not in line with what children are expected to know
    Textbooks are not easily available
    standardized testing is not available
    The child tend to spend more time on subjects that he/she likes and does not tackle the weak spots
    Unless the parent is connected with social and athletic activities in the community, the child does not develop these aspects.

If, however the parent has the child enrolled in an "independent study" program, the have access to textbooks, testing, and curriculum consistent with a grade level expected in their state.

The major flaw I see is that the parent gets to a point, usually Jr. high age where math and science are beyond their ability to teach. As the child gets older, it is more difficult to put them in a school setting.

John
    There are standard material available at almost any book store and at 1000's of web sites online. There is non religious and religious material. One can connect to a program or use various clases from different programs.

Why does anyone believe there is any standard testing, a 4th grader in school A in one state does not use the same books, the same lesson plan or the same tests as another student.

Social and athletics ( that must be playground on the swings at school)
    I guess taking the child to the part to play with kids during the day or on weekends does not count like doing the same thing in school.
    There are all sorts of activiteis, musem, there are homeschool play groups, there are music lessons, karate lessons, dance lessons, all sort of activities.
    Actually the home school student learns more arts, learns better lessons and are normally smarter than their in school counterparts

I guess you believe the only people home schooling are grade school drop outs that live in trailer parks, Many parents have college degrees, masters and PhD's. Even with just a high school education, there are teacher helps, online support groups, tutoring and so much more available.

As for as putting back in school, yes, the home school child is normally too far advanced for those his or her age in regular school, making it harder for them to return to regular school. ( they will get far to bored with regular school.

The only real negative is that the parents have to be committted to this long term. There are even online programs for children now.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2006, 10:41 PM
    man... that question hit me wrong. Absolutely no interest in the positives. Unbelievable.

we have a daughter 19, schooled in the public system. Loved it. Did great. Of course she was "home schooled" to a degree... at the kitchen table most nights by her parents. Its just called good parenting.

our son, 2 years, may be taught at home (I taught 10 yrs at college level, so a little exp though with obviously older students... you wouldn't know that from my lack of capitalization and punctuation when writing posts, eh? My prerogative). From what I've seen at the college level, home schooled students were not at a disadvantage academically and were not socially dysfunctional. Pompous for some in the teaching profession to use a such broad brush. How many bad teachers did you have in your formal educational experience?

I know there are clear problems with some home schooling. My brother in laws family is a prime example. Poor structure, unstable family... I don't trust that they are getting all of the education they need, and I'm sure they'll move on to the school system in later years when the material gets tougher. Hopefully the kids will be able to adjust.

but to pick a position and then simply try to find the facts that support that position and ignore the other side... that is ignorant.

OK, this is a tangent, but it reminds me a little of the struggles we've had with the medical community. My wife and I are chemists. We have friends who are doctors. We are well versed in scientific method. We also believe that western med doesn't know all. We used a midwife for prenatal care of our son and the md's went nuts. Practically claimed that we'd abused our unborn child with neglect... when our midwife (actually, a cerfified nurse/midwife with over 30 years experience in labor rooms) met with us every week for 1-2 hours of med discussion. How many docs meet with their patients that long? None.

3 mds told my wife western med couldn't help her w cysts and adhesions so her options were to take narcotics or get a hysterectomy. Guess what worked? Acupuncture. The fact I even have a son is testament to the value of looking for alternatives.

I know that's drifting away from the original post, but the nature of the comment reminds me of how we were treated by some in the med community. As I said, I have good friends who are docs. I respect their opinions and seek their help. I also know there are sometimes other alternatives worth looking into.

there. That's my tie in to the alternative schooling issue.

done ranting, for now. =)

ps - and having worked with classes ranging from 16 to over 100 students, which classes do you think were the best run? The classes that I had a finger on the pulse of the class? You just cannot teach 40 students the same way you can teach 10 or 4 or 1. good teaching takes TIME and ENERGY and WORK and STRUCTURE and KNOWLEDGE. The current ed system is often failing in the first three just from sheer numbers. It is the reason I stopped teaching. To do a good job meant my nights and weekends were consumed by work, and I refused to do less and be a mediocre teacher.

there. Done ranting again, for now. Again.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:46 PM
    I don't think people are bashing home schooling.

In fact, I think it is a good idea.

I think the problem brought up is that the parents who home school must find a way to teach their children about sharing, social interaction, etc. If they do that, then there is no problem.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine1569
    hello
    i would like to know more about the disadvantages of homeschooling. I am doing a letter to the editor for a school assesment task and I need to find as many disadvantages as possible. If you can help please respond.
    Okay... maybe this isn't bashing, but its not a thoughtful, open question about the pros and cons. At best, if she thinks there are pros, she knows them all. But sounds to me like this is mostly interested in negatives. That is what I was talking about.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong. If she wants all possible negatives in order to be able to counter them or address them, I guess that's different. I read it originally as a desire to put home schooling in a bad light.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 09:00 PM
    As I read the posts I see more in favor and liking home school. Except for a couple of posters everyone had good things to say about it.

It is not for everyone, people first have to have time at home with the child. If you have two working parents, it is not going to happen.

If there is not a planned and controlled structure to the family odds are home schooling is not going to work.

And if the child runs the family it is not going to work.

But in homes where one parent is home with the child, and there is a good family structure it can be a good thing.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Okay. Please read my posts carefully.

In each case I refer to the original thread question. The question. The asking for information about the negatives only.

Yes, I can and have read all of the post that come after. Yes, I agree with most of them. Yes, they generally support the idea of home schooling.

I get it.

But before another person reads my posts and tries to correct me on my misunderstanding of the thread, please read mine a little more carefully.

i disagree with the nature of the question. the original post. the asking for negatives only.

> "man... that question hit me wrong. absolutely no interest in the positives. unbelievable" referring to the original post where there is only a stated interest in the disadvantages...from my 1st post.

> "okay... maybe this isn't bashing, but its not a thoughtful, open question about the pros and cons. at best, if she thinks there are pros, she knows them all. but sounds to me like this is mostly interested in negatives. that is what i was talking about.

maybe my interpretation is wrong. if she wants all possible negatives in order to be able to counter them or address them, i guess thats different. i read it originally as a desire to put home schooling in a bad light." the "she" here is the original poster.

I never said the thread wasn't a thoughtful discussion. It was the original poster I have issue with.

Man, this is painful.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I didn't feal like reading just posting my input
    watch the south park episode concerning this and you will know my stance(also very entertaining)
    I believe that public schools should be mandatory but still not enough
    parents should encourage and let experience as many of their child's interests as possible at home because the school is not able to provide.
    school is just the base
    I'm 22 and most of the knowledge I value the most I learned outside of it but I couldn't without the base from NY public schools
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Unfortunately the original asker has only posted once and I doubt he/she is reading this.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 09:07 AM
    I know you need to be careful about dredging up threads that the original poster isn't looking at probably.

But if this is the only reason to keep a post alive then why aren't posts locked after a certain time or number of posts in which the original poster hasn't responded?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Aw man. You got me.

Didn't see the original was aug 2005.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeschooling [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper for my college english class on the adantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. I was homeschooled and also attended some public school. I would like responses from people who have been homeschooled not people who only have an opinion on the topic Thanks

Homeschooling a k student [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken my son out of the public school and desided to homeschool wich books and where would I go to get them are the best?:o

View more questions Search