Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T-rex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 02:40 PM
    I would like to know if the seller should be responsible?
    I purchased an older renovated home last year and I had major cracks (vertically and horizontally) throughout one of my rooms. I can also see that the floor is sinking. Looking closely I can tell that this had happened before and that it was patched up and never mentioned. The neighbour mentioned the old owner had mad comments about the sinking floor. My question is can I go back and ask for damage payments.

Thanks for any help on this.

T-rex
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Did you have the house inspected by a professional inspector during the purchase? If so, some responsibility may fall back on their shoulders.

Did you use a realtor as a buyer's agent representing you? If so, contact them and let them go to work for you. That's part of their job.

During the purchase you should have received a seller's disclosure. What, if anything was noted on there about the seller's knowledge of such settling and cracks.

That gives you somewhere to start.

To get the seller to rear some responsibility for something like that you'll have to build a case proving they knew about it and either improperly repaired it, failed to disclose it, or some combination.

HTH,
    Karla in
    Tx
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Were the cracks visible before you bought the house? If they were, it might be hard to claim that they weren't disclosed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seller Contributions [ 2 Answers ]

What exactley can the seller pay towards?

Seller defaulted [ 2 Answers ]

I have just looked at my contract and realized that the seller of out contract for deed has defaulted by charging me interest on my "on-time" payments, when in our contract, it states that NO INTETREST will be taken out for "on-time" payments, and that the only time Interest will be taken out is...

Private Seller [ 4 Answers ]

I recently sold a car to a guy who checked out the condition of the car and test drove it twice before purchasing. The car was in good working condition and the only thing that really needed to be done was having the ac recharged. Now after having the car for a week the guy is claiming there are...

Seller of vehicle lied! [ 5 Answers ]

I need a bit of advice and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. My husband, very eager to find an older Nissan Pathfinder in decent shape, with decent milage. Well, he thought he found one, we drove 3 1/2 hours one way in a horrible snowstorm to look at the vehicle. ...

Plumbing issues -seller had to know! [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased our first home in Indianapolis, In in May of this year (2005). After living there for 3 weeks, water from the shower and washer started backing up on the basement floor from the drain. Called a plumber, he came out and pulled massive amounts of roots from main sewer line...

View more questions Search