Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deb-williams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Leak in 1st floor bathroom ceiling
    There a leak in our first floor bathroom ceiling. This leak happens only when it rains. Above the first floor bathroom is the 2nd floor bathroom. There is no water on the 2nd floor bathroom. The toilet on the 2nd floor flushes fine. The 2nd floor bathroom is part of a room addition. I had contractor come out and he tells me that it is because the siding on the outside of the room addition is loose and needs to be taken out and reinstalled. Also, he states that I have to get a gutter for the room addition overhang.
    Does this sound right?
    beingteri Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Aug 18, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Sounds reasonable to me. If it doesn't leak on a daily basis, nor when any of the plumbing is used on the second floor... then that isn't likely the cause... and thank your lucky stars for that! That is a much messier clean up. Was the addition added recently, and was it done to code with permits? If so, go back to that same contractor and have him come out and fix it! If that answer is no... you did it yourself... then it sounds like you didn't properly seal it for water tightness.

Is it the rainy season where you are NOW? If not, take a hose/sprinkler up on the roof and water the entire addition. Have someone listen on the inside for trickling water inside the wall to locate the initial breach. Once found... inspect the entire edge of the roofline above the addition as well as where it sits on the 1st floor. Is there a noticeable flashing and/or water barrier along those edges... and caulking to seal the entire seam?

If I were you, I wouldn't seal the hole up with out removing either the inside or outside wall. You need to get a look at the damage on the inside... replace any wood rot or decay, check for termites and other pests, and worse case scenario... mold. Some molds can make you very sick, and in some lead to death. As far as the gutter along the overhang... it's a good idea. This will work to divert the majority of the water rolling down the 2 floor roof, and keep it from pouring down on the first floor roof and causing more wear and tear. This will probably be the cheapest part of the whole project. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

Water leaking into ceiling on 1st floor [ 5 Answers ]

Water sometimes drips from the bathroom upstairs into my dining on th 1st fl. What can I do? I already had the ceiling taken down, but we can't determine where its coming from. It only drips sometimes. (very strange) I'm just to tired of this problem and don't know what to do, the bathroom is...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

View more questions Search