Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkreeves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
    "smoking after idle" 1982 Honda Civic w/ great compression
    I have recently acquired a 1982 Honda Civic Wagon, 185 k miles, religious oil changes (per service records). It's due for timing belt. Car sat for 3 years without bieng started, I have installed a new (rebuilt) carb and EGR valve (restrictor on EGR valve not installed... ), also new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, runs and idles fine, but burns oil. Almost none at idle, increasing with acceleration, also at decelleration. Compression is an incredible 187-191 across all cylinders, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. I've been thinking sticky oil rings, but so far my homebrewed fix for that hasn't worked (2-cycle oil in spark plug holes then let soak, this is at the recommendation of my mechanical friend, who knows more than I do... ). I recently heard mentioned that the advanced (for 1982) smog control design on these cars can fail and thus cause the problem I am having with the car, but is repairable for a few hundred bucks. "Smoking after idle" was the diagnostic term used. Anybody out there know about this? Thanks a lot.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Yeah it sounds like the smog control needs fixed, otherwise, 2 cycle oil really doesn't help sticking rings, now marvel mystery oil, can unstick them after a while.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2005, 04:13 AM
    A couple of questions (I had an 80 civic that did the same thing and I kick myself every time I hear the same symptoms) Are you getting any amount of oil in your air filter chamber? If so, one or more of your plugs have fouled out and need replacing. Or you aren't getting spark to one of them and you need to make sure all of the wires leading to the spark plug fit securley to allow the spark to happen.(a timing light will let you know if your wire is bad) Also pull the distributer cap and check the rotor and cap prongs for signs of detonation (if you see charred marks replace ) This should and in all possibility of what you described is 95% of your problem.
    Francis2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
    I think I know what your problem could be.
    On the earlier Hondas they had a 3 valve system in the head,you had your intake and exhaust valves per each cylinder and the valve seals probably need replaced which is fairly a simple job if you know how to do it.
    But there is also a 3rd valve system in the head also which they call the auxiliary valve, This is where I bet most of your problem is,They install on top of the head under the valve cover, They are a whole unit and they have two or three o-rings around each assembly that go bad plus the valves usually carbon up solid. Check it out and let me know. I also have compleate shop manual on this car. I also have a 1982 civic wagon also. I would like to buy one that was restored if you know where I can find one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Honda Civic "Check Engine" Light [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Was driving my 95 Honda Civic LX (115000 miles) to work this morning when the Check Engine light came on. Car was not overheating, no obvious problem, oil level fine. Ran all day with no further problem indications, but the Check Engine light stayed on. What is the possible problems?? Note...

98 honda accord audio "CODE e" [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the battery on my Honda. Well the audio system disengaged and required a 5 digit code to reset. I obtained this code from the dealer. I entered the 5 digit code and nothing happens except shows "CODE e". The manual has little to say about this.. Anyone know?

1987 civic dx"rpm's & preignition" [ 1 Answers ]

87 civic 1.5L. This car runs great until it runs awhile. Once warmed up the RPM's begin to erratically surge up and down and while at a light, or on the freeway it stays up at like 4,000rpm. And then when you shut the car off it stays running and makes weird noised and runs very ruff. What is going...

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search