Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    specialk1225 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 12:04 PM
    2 computers 1 not connecting
    I have 2 computers side by side,hooked up router, everythings been working properly for months, and now only one can connect, I bought new router, usb port,cables, the cable company says the motem is fine. If we want to use the computer we are hooking up direct. I need help figuring this out. So the fighting in my house over who's going online can stop.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Well, it would appear that the fault is with the computer that will not connect. It could be the ethernet card that is the problem, or the software. What OS do you use?
    specialk1225 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Hi, I don't know what os means, please tell me.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
    OS = Operating System. Such as Windows 2000, XP, etc... It could be something as simple as enabling the network connection.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 14, 2007, 07:16 PM
    What happens if you unplug the computer that can connect to the internet from the router, will the other one start working? If it does you could have a duplicate IP address issue... that's easy enough to fix.

Is the light on the router port lit up for the one that can't connect?
    If not, try using the cable from the other computer. If it still doesn't light up try plugging the cable into another port. If it still doesn't light up then check the Device Manager to see if the network card is good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two computers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this "help desk" and this has probably been answered millions of times but can two computers be connected together through the same internet connection? And Also what would I need. The computers are running xp and the is 98 internet connection is wireless broadband. Thank you.

Connecting Two Computers via Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am vignesh... I need foolproof method for knowing how to connect two computers in network via ethernet...

Direct connecting two computers [ 2 Answers ]

I want to connect my old computer to my new one so I can transfer files (especially my large e-mail files). My old computer has a modem connection and 2 USB ports. My new computer has a modem port, USB ports and Ethernet port. Is there a way to direct connect the two computers via either the...

Connecting Two Computers [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I got a linksys router and it is directly connected to my computer wired and I have a laptop connected wireless well what I want to do it be able to access files between both computers through a network how would I set this up ?

Connecting two computers together [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, just wondering since my cd rom on xp is not working, IS there anyway that I can connect my old PC win 98, 4gb hard drive to my xp and use win 98 cd rom to install program on xp.

View more questions Search