Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzzman Posts: 54, Reputation: 9

Aug 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
    What's the point?
    I believe in God. But, I am not too sure what the point is to life? We're down here in this cesspool of a life and we are expected to live and work our butts off for what?! To me, life seems like a cruel joke. It really feels like God is using the world as a giant ant farm. We're doomed to fail as soon as we are born because of an apparent curse. We are given free will choices to fail and realize our mistakes. For what?? What do we do when we die? If God made things so perfect, why is there a devil? God created angels and Satan is a fallen angel. What's to say that the same thing won't happen again in heaven? I've already watched Monty Python's Meaning of life, that didn't help either, but it did give me a chuckle. Does someone have an answer for this?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman
    I believe in God. But, I am not too sure what the point is to life? We're down here in this cesspool of a life and we are expected to live and work our butts off for what??!! To me, life seems like a cruel joke. It really feels like God is using the world as a giant ant farm. We're doomed to fail as soon as we are born because of an apparent curse. We are given free will choices to fail and realize our mistakes. For what??? What do we do when we die? If God made things so perfect, why is there a devil? God created angels and Satan is a fallen angel. What's to say that the same thing won't happen again in heaven? I've already watched Monty Python's Meaning of life, that didn't help either, but it did give me a chuckle. Does someone have an answer for this?
    Hey buzzman,
    I believe in God too,just not the way you do..
    I believe the point of this worldly life is to work for the Hereafter.
    This world is a test, to see who works for the Hereafter no matter what difficulties or ease one faces in this lifetime.This world is temporary but the Hereafter is eternal and believing in this makes me a better human being and knowing that I will be judged for my deeds whether good or bad makes me want to be the best I can.I am not saying I never do wrong but the Almighty loves to forgive those who repent and ask for forgiveness.

Death is the moment when our choices end and judgement begins,there is nothing we can do after death.That is the reason we were given life to live a life to please the Most Merciful and to attain His pleasure and be admitted into gardens for eternity by His mercy.

And what curse are you speaking about? I do not believe we are born cursed either,I believe each baby is born pure and his/her records start only after they reach puberty not before that,but parents have the responsibility of showing children the right path to the One and Only Creator.

And the devil as we believe is not a fallen angel, he is a jinn (a being made of smokeless fire) and he was special at the time Adam was created but he was sent away from the Heavens because he chose to disobey the Almighty's command to bow down to Adam.

I hope my points give you something's to think about... :)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 14, 2007, 08:19 AM
    I believe in God. But, I am not too sure what the point is to life? We're down here in this cesspool of a life and we are expected to live and work our butts off for what??!! To me, life seems like a cruel joke. It really feels like God is using the world as a giant ant farm. We're doomed to fail as soon as we are born because of an apparent curse. We are given free will choices to fail and realize our mistakes. For what??? What do we do when we die? If God made things so perfect, why is there a devil? God created angels and Satan is a fallen angel. What's to say that the same thing won't happen again in heaven? I've already watched Monty Python's Meaning of life, that didn't help either, but it did give me a chuckle. Does someone have an answer for this?

Deleted

This guy doesn't deserve an answer. At least not from me.

Aug 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
    This is of course if you believe in becoming a Jehovah's Witness, which of course as most Christians know, do not accept Jesus's divinity as God. They also not believe in the doctrine of the trinity, which is also of God. This goes with the quote in 1John4: Those that accept that Jesus is God in the flesh is of God, those that don't are not of God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Perfection includes ability to choose. Inability to choose=robots=imperfection.

The present conditions are only temporary and were allowed to develop and allowed to continue this long in order to demonstrate that Satan's implied accusations that all men will leave their creator if tempted, that his purpose for us was selfish and that Adam and Eve's implied idea that mankind can succeed without God is proven false. Once this legal precedent is established all possible rebellions can be immediately stopped via irresistible force.

The original purpose [point] for mankind was and still is to transform the Earth into a paradise.

Isaiah 65:17
    [ The Glorious New Creation ] “ For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.

Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
    2 Peter 3:12-14

We aren't doomed, [if by doomed you mean forever dead] unless we reject the Ransom Sacrifice given on our behalf by Jesus Christ.

When we die there are presently two possibilities.

1. Sleep in death until an earthly post Armageddon resurrection = most of mankind.

2. Immediate transference to heaven

Here are articles which explain God's plans for mankind and our Earth:

Making Earth A Paradise

Can You Believe in a Paradise Earth? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Aug 14, 2007, 10:26 AM
    What I mean by curse is the curse we are born into. We are born into sin just by being human. Thus being cursed. How can you be so sure that judgement begins at death. I have heard that we sleep until the judgement horn is called. What makes you believe what you do. Where do you find your information on death and what happens after? I have looked and found nothing (So far). If life is a test and everyone is forgiven based on their deeds on earth (If they ask for forgivness). How then is there any division in heaven? All would be equal in heaven, whether you were a rapist and asked for forgivness OR if you were a saint (Mother Theresa). You sound that you do not have a Christian doctrine to back up your beliefs. You sound like a Mormon with your "Smokeless fire" comment. Do you also believe you will have your own planet one day as well? I have examined the Mormon faith and have found them to be "Out in Left field". They are a "Cult" in my opinion. (Omit comment if you are not a Mormon). By the way I do not claim to know it all, otherwise I would not be asking the questions I am asking. I am simply trying to educate myself by talking with others. Hence a quote in my belief system: "Just as Iron Sharpens Iron, So does one man to another".
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Hey buzzman,
    I believe in God too,just not the way you do..
    I believe the point of this worldly life is to work for the Hereafter.
    This world is a test, to see who works for the Hereafter no matter what difficulties or ease one faces in this lifetime.This world is temporary but the Hereafter is eternal and believing in this makes me a better human being and knowing that I will be judged for my deeds whether good or bad makes me want to be the best I can.I am not saying I never do wrong but the Almighty loves to forgive those who repent and ask for forgiveness.

Death is the moment when our choices end and judgement begins,there is nothing we can do after death.That is the reason we were given life to live a life to please the Most Merciful and to attain His pleasure and be admitted into gardens for eternity by His mercy.

And what curse are you speaking about??I do not believe we are born cursed either,I believe each baby is born pure and his/her records start only after they reach puberty not before that,but parents have the responsibility of showing children the right path to the One and Only Creator.

And the devil as we believe is not a fallen angel, he is a jinn (a being made of smokeless fire) and he was special at the time Adam was created but he was sent away from the Heavens because he chose to disobey the Almighty's command to bow down to Adam.

I hope my points give you somethings to think about...:)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
    What I mean by curse is the curse we are born into. We are born into sin just by being human. Thus being cursed. How can you be so sure that judgement begins at death. I have heard that we sleep until the judgement horn is called. What makes you believe what you do. Where do you find your information on death and what happens after? I have looked and found nothing (So far). If life is a test and everyone is forgiven based on their deeds on earth (If they ask for forgivness). How then is there any division in heaven? All would be equal in heaven, whether you were a rapist and asked for forgivness OR if you were a saint (Mother Theresa). You sound that you do not have a Christian doctrine to back up your beliefs. You sound like a Mormon with your "Smokeless fire" comment......r".
    First things first
    I am not a Mormon, I am a muslim.
    I am a firmbeliever in Allah and submit only to him, I do not bow down to anyone but the Creator of this universe and all that exists. I believe in Muhammad(peace be upon him) to be the last and final messenger from Allah.I believe Jesus (Easa,peace be upon him) to be a messenger of Allah. I believe in Heaven and Hell and the Angels.

Muslims believe that each baby is born into this world as a believer in One God,but the parents are the ones who change him/her into other beliefs. And we also believe that those babies that die in infancy are special and will not be judged.

Muslims also believe that there is a thing called punishment of the grave (not the physical grave we dig and bury people,but it is a place where the dead exists until the time the final Horn is blown),hence we believe that judgement begins when the person dies,but the punishement of the grave also by the mercy of Allah maybe an expiation of sins for a person and he maybe admitted to Heaven.

If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them... :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 11:02 AM
    I believe in God. But, I am not too sure what the point is to life?
    We where put here to take care of the Earth, and our fellow humans, and all that is on it, to make life better for us all, through love and caring, and honoring the Creator, for the blessings we get through a personal relationship with HIM, and living our life through Good Orderly Direction. Of all the life on Earth, we as humans are blessed with the gift of choice, in what we do and how we do it. If you are confused then try a personal relationship with the God that you understand, to get clarity.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 14, 2007, 02:08 PM
    There is a lot of talk about our (Christians/humans) role here on earth in the Bible. My belief is that our earthly dwelling is only temporary and we have a place set aside for us in Heaven to be with God if we believe in His son Jesus. Now our role on earth is that same commission given to the Twelve disciples "to spread the Good News of Jesus and belive in Jesus and be baptized" Our work on earth is for our eternal reward in Heaven. Also the whole first chapter of the book of James in the bible talks about trials, you should look at it. God never promised He would prevent bad things from happening but He did promise "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear not because you are always with me...."
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I agree with you and I would not know the things I know if I did not already have a relationship with God. This does not answer my questions though.
    We as humans can relay our feelings and opinions, only God can show you what the point is. Have you asked Him your question??
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Aug 14, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Whoa, first where did you get the idea that Mormons think that Satan is a "smokeless fire" ? I am Mormon and have never even heard that term. Much less to explain Satan. We know that he is real. A spirit without a body but powerful non the less. And actually your question as to Heaven and the unfairness of everyone receiving the same reward despite their actions is answered in the LDS faith. Maybe we aren't as "out in left field" as you thought. We also believe like Firmbeliever that we are not born into sin but pure until the age of accountability when we know right from wrong. We have free agency to choose and some will choose to do evil and those choices effect us all. It can be difficult on this earth but I believe that our efforts will be rewarded with blessings that we can't begin to comprehend. I hope you can get some answers here and restore your faith. I can't imagine trying to endure this life without the hope of a life hereafter.
    -

Aug 14, 2007, 08:00 PM
    This is of course if you believe in becoming a Jehovah's Witness, which of course as most Christians know, do not accept Jesus' divinity as God. They also not believe in the doctrine of the trinity, which is also of God. This goes with the quote in 1John4: Those that accept that Jesus is God in the flesh is of God, those that don't are not of God.

As I have to explained repeatedly, when I post my views I don't do it with the intention of provoking an off-topic debate. I am simply responding to the question asked in accordance with my preferred viewpoint. I am aware that there are divergent views and those holding them are free to express them as their answers without the fear of having me accuse them of not being true Christians. If they are or not is for God to decide not me nor YOU since there is far more to being a Christian than mere church membership or knowledge of doctrine.

As for your unsolicited condemnatory remark, there are BIble scholars who who disagree with your opinion:

'Fourth century Trinitarianism was a deviation from early Christian teaching.' —The Encyclopedia Americana
    Worse yet, though, you are twisting scripture since what you say is not what John wrote.

1 John 4

2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:

KJV

Aug 20, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey5765
    Whoa, first where did you get the idea that Mormons think that Satan is a "smokeless fire" ? I am Mormon and have never even heard that term. Much less to explain Satan. We know that he is real. A spirit without a body but powerful non the less. And actually your question as to Heaven and the unfairness of everyone receiving the same reward despite their actions is answered in the LDS faith. Maybe we aren't as "out in left field" as you thought. We also believe like Firmbeliever that we are not born into sin but pure until the age of accountability when we know right from wrong. We have free agency to choose and some will choose to do evil and those choices effect us all. It can be difficult on this earth but I believe that our efforts will be rewarded with blessings that we can't begin to comprehend. i hope you can get some answers here and restore your faith. I can't imagine trying to endure this life without the hope of a life hereafter.
    I apologize that you took my "smokeless fire" thing literally. I said it loosely on the basis that you believe Every Morman can achieve their own planet and become a God of that planet AND the fact that you have a completely different bible which is based on the copying of Golden plates theory that no one has ever seen except for a "Joseph Smith" (And how you use it conjunction with the One and only Holy Bible is incomprehensible)AND you think that Jesus is a prophet (Equal with Satan) only and NOT the Son of Man. Just to name a few.

Aug 20, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    As I have to explained repeatedly, when I post my views I don't do it with the intention of provoking an off-topic debate. I am simply responding to the question asked in accordance with my preferred viewpoint. I am aware that there are divergent views and those holding them are free to express them as their answers without the fear of having me accuse them of not being true Christians. If they are or not is for God to decide not me nor YOU since there is far more to being a Christian than mere church membership or knowledge of doctrine.

As for your unsolicited condemnatory remark, there are BIble scholars who who disagree with your opinion:

Worse yet, though, you are twisting scripture since what you say is not what John wrote.

1 John 4

2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:

KJV
    Forgive me for not pulling the bible off the shelf and writing word for word. The Scripture and quote was completely from memory and I probably should not have done that. But I am essentially saying the same thing.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 04:26 AM
    There is a similar thread which might be of interest to you:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spirit...fe-119693.html
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 20, 2007, 09:22 AM

To love God.
    Agree with the cesspool part.
    Sounds like The book of Ecclesiastes.
    If we realize are misatkes and imperfections we can turn to the Lord for forgiveness, redemption, and love.
    This earth / world / life is imperfect due to sin and the power of evil which is the result of freedom that God gives us.
    In Heaven there will be none of this.

Grace and Peace
    -

Aug 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Forgive me for not pulling the bible off the shelf and writing word for word. The Scripture and quote was completely from memory and I probably should not have done that. But I am essentially saying the same thing.
    Unfortunately for you, Jehovah's Witnesses agree with that scripture and don't deny that Jesus came in the flesh. They proclaim that Jesus came in the flesh. Why not do a little research about a group's teachings instead making false accusations? It's very easy. Just go to there official website inform yourself and make sure so that you don't wind up spreading lies and defaming others.

Excerpt:

2. God sent His Son to the earth by transferring his life to the womb of Mary. So Jesus did not have a human father. That is why he did not inherit any sin or imperfection. God sent Jesus to earth for three reasons: (1) To teach us the truth about God (John 18:37), (2) to maintain perfect integrity, providing a model for us to follow (1 Peter 2:21), and (3) to sacrifice his life to set us free from sin and death. Why was this needed?—Matthew 20:28.

What Does God Require of Us? - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site
    Also, a Bible study will prevent a constant misunderstanding of scripture to which I see that you are prone.

Acts 8
    30 So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
    31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. KJV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Break-even point [ 8 Answers ]

I don't understand this question. How much will profits increase for every unit sold over the break-even point? This is all the information we have. I just don't get it. Any unit sold over the break-even point is an increase. How do you find out how much of an increase? Thanks in...

A few things I want to point out [ 47 Answers ]

I would like to begin this post by first saying that God created everyone in his image and He created us all EQUAL. So I just think everyone has the right to express their beliefs in everything including and especially the spiritual aspect. So my point being that if you all agree that we have this...

Break even point [ 1 Answers ]

Sales $280,000 Net Operating Income $21,000 Contribution margion ratio $70% What is the break-even point next year in sales dollars?

View more questions Search