Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Aug 13, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Why does White Rice Cost Less than Brown Rice?
    Hi, Everyone,
    I have been consuming brown rice for years, but today, while discussing the differences between brown rice and white rice with my girlfriend, she asked me why white rice would cost less if it requires so much more energy to process it (by process, I mean milling it, polishing it, etc.). Is brown rice only more expensive in my area and the United States and not in other countries of the world?

Thank you in advance,
    Victor Ly
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 01:49 AM
    To be honest here in the uk it depends where you buy it health food shops up the price as they have more over heads to meet personally where as buy it in a big store and there really isn't that much in it anymore but a lot of the store bought stuff still has a slight bleached effect so it it's that reason that you buy brown rice then check those packets before you purchase.
    I can't really tell you why its more exspensive where you are or why it is in the first place you would think as there is less work gone into picking etc that it would be cheeper.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorLy
    Hi, Everyone,
    I have been consuming brown rice for years, but today, while discussing the differences between brown rice and white rice with my girlfriend, she asked me why white rice would cost less if it requires so much more energy to process it (by process, I mean milling it, polishing it, etc.). Is brown rice only more expensive in my area and the United States and not in other countries of the world?

Thank you in advance,
    Victor Ly
    Hi VictorLy,

Maybe this is the reason...

http://www.goldenrice.org/Content3-Why/why4_facts.html

"Unpolished rice becomes rancid during storage
    Dehusked, unpolished rice grains are covered by the nutrient-rich bran and aleurone layers. Because these layers are rich in lipids they oxidises rapidly when exposed to air, hence the grains turn rancid and untasty during storage. Polishing, on the other hand, produces rice grains devoid of the nutrients contained in the outer layers but not susceptible to changes in colour, odour and taste."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And another I found
    http://andysmarket.com/healthfacts/brownrice.html

Brown rice is unmilled or partly milled rice, a kind of whole grain. It has a mild nutty flavor, is chewier than white rice, and becomes rancid more quickly. Any rice, including sticky rice, long-grain rice, or short-grain rice, may be eaten as brown rice.

In much of Asia, brown rice (Chinese: Hanyu Pinyin: caomi; Japanese: genmai) is associated with poverty and wartime shortages, and in the past was rarely eaten except by the sick, the elderly and as a cure for constipation. This traditionally looked-down-upon kind of rice is now more expensive than common white rice, partly due to its low consumption, difficulty of storage and transport, and higher nutritional value.

----------------------
    Hope this helps:)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I don't know where your at, but here in the mid west there's no real difference in price, I buy it all the time, the brown rice variety cause it is such a good value.
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2010, 11:33 PM

What is the method to cook brown rice the same as white rice? actually I have never cooked brown rice, only white.
    steventmiller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Comment on MarMar27's post
    Sorry, got cut off. You would cook it the same way as white rice, just keep tasting it until the texture is soft and chewy. ;)
    Chantew11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 06:18 PM
    I live in Houston, Tx and have grown to love brown rice, actually preferable over the white now. I'm 27 yrs old and am interested in healthy alternatives to food, cause I love it so much! Now that I have become a Dietetic major college student, I am well aware of the concern for the higher cost of more "healthier" foods, it is very frustrating, I do agree. I am really interested in the above comment about the origin of brown rice and it's status, I may just do a small study on that, thanks! But at the end of the day, I'd rather pay an extra couple of cents for a bag of brown rice now, than major health cost later due to the effects of consistently subjecting my body to the white rice health risks and concerns over time.
    cjhriceeater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Brown rice is un-milled or partly milled rice, a kind of whole, natural grain. It has a mild nutty flavor, is chewier and more nutritious than white rice, but goes rancid more quickly because the germ, which is removed to make white rice, contains fats that can spoil.

In order to avoid spoilage, I believe they store the brown rice in sealed bins that are oxygen free (100% nitrogen verses air which is 80% nitrogen and 20 percent oxygen). This additional cost of storage and shorter shelf life makes it more expensive than white rice.
    Keyplaya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 11:38 AM
    All I know is that in the UK, both brown and white rice are in just ordinary packaging, but white rice is still cheaper.

Also is it just me or would a short shelf life logically decrease the price of a product (brown rice) to ensure each batch is sold asap before it turns rancid?

Maybe the only reason is because the rich want the average John Smiths to pay more for whats good for them, even when the healthiest food option is cheapest to market and prepare. I mean its not really answering your question tbh, but hey..
    bbbassett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2013, 10:22 AM
    Economies of scale. White rice is cheaper because that is the status quo and the conventional treatment. Most manufacturers are equipped to mill and polish rice ONLY and in enormous volumes so they an charge less.

That, plus what everyone else has said about shelf life. White rice does not go rancid. Brown rice does, so the loss is calculated into the price

Bbb

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sella rice [ 6 Answers ]

What is sella basmati rice and parboiled basmati rice

Healthier rice [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Which rice is healthier, Parboiled ( Basmati or others) or Polished?

Japanese fried rice [ 7 Answers ]

We love to go to Goten restaurant because their fried rice is so good. It has egg and other vegetables in addition to rice. Does anyone have a recipe that would mimic theirs? It doesn't look to be a complex recipe but it tastes great... it must have some type of oil and I think the rice is...

Stan rice [ 1 Answers ]

I'm searching for a list of all poetry of Stan Rice. I read some of his work and I want to read more but I can't find many of his older works. Can anyone provide me suchs a list or does anybody know where to find one? Carnelain

China's Rice Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm trying to find out how many people or how much rice does china use? - a website with a chart on how much rice is consumed will be helpful.. Just give me a bunch of links that relates to this question. Thankx!

View more questions Search