Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heatandairguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 02:12 PM
    What's a good way to clean mildew off the canvas on my pop-up camper?
    My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
    If the canvas hasn't deteriorated, I'd try a mild solution of bleach and then rinse with lottsa water. Let it air completely and store it with a box of Dri-Rid (SP?) to absorb any future moisture.

Good luck!

shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Here is another tip for removing mold from canvas:
    After brushing and vacuuming the canvas of your popup camper, mix a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half water. Test the solution on an inconspicuous area of the mold and mildew-stained canvas. Simply apply the rubbing alcohol solution with a white cotton rag, and if the solution does a good job and doesn't compromise the canvas in any way, continue cleaning the rest of the mold and mildew-stained canvas.

There are more ideas on the following site:
    Yahoo! Answers - Help!!! Mildew INSIDE a pop-up camper, how to clean!???
    jaunvie Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Depending on what kind of "canvas" you have, bleach might not be your best option. I work with marine textiles and many of the acrylic blends (eg. "sunbrella") will begin to break down when exposed to bleach, even when heavily diluted.

There are quite a few products on the market specifically designed to deal with mildew. Check your local boating or RV supply store, find out what type of "canvas" you have. Most of the products work well and depending on how old the fabric is it might still be under a manufacture's warrantee.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heatandairguy
    My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!
    Well, you have had some really good suggestions so far. But mine would be to advise you to always be sure the canvas is completely dry before storing the unit. I hope you can save the top and make it look good again. Life's lesson's are learned at the expense of our wallets, sometimes a little, and sometimes a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 El Paso Camper [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a camper and needs to run wire from where the AC is. She tells me that the wire that is there now is for an air conditioner and she needs to down size the wire to a 12 volt wire. Problem is we have no idea how to do this. I told her I believe that if the wire in place now holds so...

Mildew in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

There is a bunch of moisture around the bathroom window. I've cleaned it, but now I'm noticing mildew on the walls and ceiling. Is bleach a good chemical to use? Alan

How to clean C.I. To make a good connection [ 3 Answers ]

I'm roughing in my basement bathroom... I've dug the trench and uncovered the old pipe which is looking pretty rough (my house was built in 1945). My question is, how can I ensure after I cut the pipe and piece in my PVC that I will get a good leak-free connection with the rubber couplers? Is...

Mildew [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what is effective to remove mildew. I have corrected the problems that caused the wet areas. Replumbed the condo, had the roof leak repaired. We are in the process of removing all the mildewed wood and wall board and replacing it with new. Any suggestions for clean up other than...

Mildew [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove mildew from paneling without damaging the finish?

View more questions Search