Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:37 AM
    I think it is posible, nttcar, but you will need a very good attorney.

If you get the wife to sign over her part of the title in the house, then you can tell MIL to get out after going through the proper eviction procedures.
    nttcar Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 08:43 AM
    But the title still contain her name. I just continue to pay the mortgage otherwise, she want to to pay her $85K in cash so she can move out the house but if I am going to get divorce, my saving split in half , my 401K split in half. My house split in half. I so not have money buy the house back from her, so the only option I have is continue pay the mortgage and have her and kids to stay in the house and MIL out. I know this is sound weired but if I throw her mother out of the house then she will insist me to sell the house . It is kind of mind game. I need to convice her to stay in the house because it is good for our kids, in the mean time, I need to find a way to have MIL out. Is it possible
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Unless you become the sole owner of the house you will need your wife to agree to evicting the MIL. Unless she agrees to it, the MIL stays.

If you are going to go ahead with the divorce, why do you really care if the MIL stays since you will be living elsewhere?

If you go ahead with the divorce, then you will need an attorney to advise you on the distribution of assets. So your attorney can advise the best course of action.
    nttcar Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Thank you everyone for your answer !
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I understand now, I was incorrect, sorry. Does this suffice?

However, I realize why it's good to feel the way I do about this. Lack of common sense is why the laws are such a mess.

If I owned a home, and had someone live there, and if there were no contractual agreement or rent paid, regardless whether they have lived their for five minutes or fifty years, as the owner I should have the power to have them removed.

This law as you have illustrated does not protect the homeowner; it is sympathy for a tenant and nothing more.

The law isn't finite. If it was, there'd be no lawyers.

XenoSapien

Aug 15, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    I understand now, I was incorrect, sorry. Does this suffice?

However, I realize why it's good to feel the way I do about this. Lack of common sense is why the laws are such a mess.

If I owned a home, and had someone live there, and if there were no contractual agreement or rent paid, regardless whether or not they have lived their for five minutes or fifty years, as the owner I should have the power to have them removed.

This law as you have illustrated does not protect the homeowner; it is sympathy for a tenant and nothing more.

The law isn't finite. If it was, there'd be no lawyers.

XenoSapien
    Clearly the law was meant to protect the tenant. It was also meant to protect the taxpayer. Because if people were allowed to be thrown out on the street at the whim of a homeowner, they might be a drain on the taxpayer.

But there is another aspect you are missing. When a homeowner decides to allow someone into their home, they are taking on a responsibility. If they allow them to move in their belongings and establish residency, they are taking on the role of landlord. This is not a situation where some stranger just walks into your home and you want t remove them.

Finally, no one has said the homeowner does not have the power to remove such a person. They most certainly do, but they have to go through legal channels to do so.

Aug 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
    "When a homeowner decides to allow someone into their home, they are taking on a responsibility. If they allow them to move in their belongings and establish residency, they are taking on the role of landlord."

Agreed. But my point then, despite belongings, mail and anything else, where is the written document that proves they are to be there at all? How can a person be a 'landlord' to someone who has not signed document one to say as much? Where are reciepts showing rent paid; all of which are required of a real landlord?

If there is no document to prove this (the court loves what you can prove, not what you know), then they have no right to technically be there, and should be able to have the person removed via trespass (the person has been entering the private property multiple times); that is my position on that, and why I feel most strongly in my belief of it.

XenoSapien

Aug 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Ok! People, submit all of your reds now! I got the point! READ EVERYTHING THAT IS WRITTEN. I GET THE FREAKIN POINT! Even an apology for being wrong doesn't mean @!#%$&! (Not a surprise. The result of no common sense).

XenoSapien

Aug 15, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    But my point then, despite belongings, mail and anything else, where is the written document that proves they are to be there at all? How can a person be a 'landlord' to someone who has not signed document one to say as much? Where are reciepts showing rent paid; all of which are required of a real landlord?
    I don't want to belabor the point, but this requires answering. Where do you get the idea that all those things are required of a real landlord? The only thing that makes a landlord is to provide living quarters for someone not in their immediate family (restricited to minor children). There have been many posts here from people who have been tenants for years without ever having signed anything. Not every landlord/tenant relationship is formalized.

Legally a contract exists when one party provides services to another for compensation. Not only when the exchange is formalized in writing. A court can and will take circumstantial and implied evidence to show that a contract exists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

I Want To Be A Good Mother-in-law [ 1 Answers ]

I have the mother in law from hell. I swore when I became a mother in law that I would never do to another woman the things my mother in law has done me. I have never had problems with my oldest sons wife. We get along wonderfully. My youngest son married approximately 3 years ago. He became...

Crazy Mother in Law [ 4 Answers ]

My husband tells me stories about when he was little and his mom would burn his fingers with matches when he was bad. Three months ago, we had our 15 month old baby boy over their and his older cousin (who is 6) was picking on the baby and yelling at him. My husband told the kid to knock it off. ...

Future mother in-law [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys Just after some help, advice, comments... etc, thanks. My future mother in-law has said some really nasty things about me to my boyfriend, and she deliberately tried to split us up. My boyfriend didn't listen to her and told her she was wrong, but she still tried to talk him into...

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search