Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freelancer66040 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2005, 10:42 AM
    Slow sink drain
    Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up again. I'm wondering if this could be an airlock. This drain is from an old farm house and I believe that it is just gravity fed out to our ditch. I'm not sure if this is related, but last summer, we had a leak around one of the drain baskets and I replaced it. Unfortunately, the local hardware store had a different depth to the one in stock that the one I replaced. So my lateral drain pipes are uneven. Could this be causing an air lock?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2005, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer66040
    Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up again. I'm wondering if this could be an airlock. This drain is from an old farm house and I believe that it is just gravity fed out to our ditch. I'm not sure if this is related, but last summer, we had a leak around one of the drain baskets and I replaced it. Unfortunately, the local hardware store had a different depth to the one in stock that the one I replaced. So my lateral drain pipes are uneven. Could this be causing an air lock?
    It doesn't sound like a airlock, just a simple blockage. As a rule the blockage's found in the lateral, (the horizontal line in the wall). By using a plunger you're pulling the water back up the line from the blockage so it will drain back for a few seconds before it hits the blockage and backs up again. So actually you're doing no good at all.
    The answer is to take the trap apart and snake out the drain line to clear it.
    Good luck, Tom
    freelancer66040 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2005, 01:26 PM
    Tried that
    We took the trap apart and snaked in 25 feet with no results, could the blockage actually be further out?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2005, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer66040
    We took the trap apart and snaked in 25 feet with no results, could the blockage actually be further out?

How far does the drain line extend? If you didn't clear the line by going out 25 feet then the blockage has to be further out. Go for it! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

Extending utility sink drain for bar sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36")...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

View more questions Search