Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Truckie117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Out of the Hospital
    Hi
    My dog just came home from the hospital he was not eating or drinking there. Now at home he is drinking but not eating and getting very thin I mix up kd paste into a syringe to feed him How can I get him to take solid food.
    He is 13 and had pancreatitis which has subsided.
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Stay in touch with the vet. Follow the instructions the vet gave you, and get back with him if what you were told isn't working. He may be thinner than he was, but evaluate him as in this link, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog Much of the rich food that would tempt a dog into eating might bring back the pancreatitus.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Truckie, I agree completely with labman. You need to stay on top of this with the help of your vet. Vets don't charge for follow up phone calls when they have been treating a pet with a medical condition. So please, call your vet. Pancreatitis is very serious and it takes a while for recovery. A bland diet is a requirement. I know you are worried but this is a case in which we take direction from our vets and our dogs. Flare ups and rehospitalization can occur if we are not careful and try to force a dog to eat something that his system is not ready for. He is drinking water and eating the paste. That is good. He won't die from being too thin if he is getting the minimal nutritional requirements. You need to precisely follow the vets directions on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hospital Debt [ 7 Answers ]

I had made a arrangements in paying my hospital bill because I don't make that much money and at the time I didn't have insurance. The hospital agreed and I've been sending in my payment every month. I went to check my mail today and it looks like they gave my info to a collection agency in...

Hospital OR room [ 1 Answers ]

What is the definition of a clean-core area?

What to pack for the hospital [ 7 Answers ]

I just thought I might ask if I have remembered everything to take to the hospital. I made a list and if anyone can add to it I would love the help. Ok so here it goes... copy and paste... Going home outfit for me Shampoo/conditioner Toothbrush/toothpaste Hair brush Hair ties/clippies Bar...

Daughter in hospital [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday my 15 yr old daughter attempted suicide and thank God, was unsuccessful. My question is this... How do I talk to her or treat her when I go see her? I honestly can't say that would be before next week, as I just can't even consider going anywhere near the hospital yet. I'm...

View more questions Search