Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    That implies there IS a soul. I know you believe there is such a thing, but there is no proof of such a thing.
    No, I can no more prove there is such a thing as a soul than science can prove our thoughts and feelings are nothing more than impersonal electrical impulses and chemical processes.

I don't know, I'm not a scientist. I'm just a boring business student. :)
    Boring? No way, unless of course you're an accounting major :)

In a way I agree with you here. Unless one is taught about the electrical impulses and how on a literal surface the human body functions, they will more than likey assume it's "magic" or "god" or whatever. When we don't understand something, we look for a way to explain it. I guess what I meant to say is your religion furthers your belief there is something more profound to humans than what science has demonstrated.
    My faith confirms my belief that we are more than bags of salty water and places a much higher value on life. That's why science says a fetus is easily disposed of tissue and faith says it's a child of infinite value. As Capuchin describes it, instead of telling my wife I love her, I should be able to get away with saying that her "visual, chemical and behavioural cues" make her a good genetic match to my instinct to protect my own genes. Think that would work? :D
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    No, I can no more prove there is such a thing as a soul than science can prove our thoughts and feelings are nothing more than impersonal electrical impulses and chemical processes.
    I'll give you that one. At least you acknowledge there are electrical impulses.

Boring? No way, unless of course you're an accounting major :)
    Nope, good 'ol HR! :)

My faith confirms my belief that we are more than bags of salty water and places a much higher value on life. That's why science says a fetus is easily disposed of tissue and faith says it's a child of infinite value.
    Yes, your faith has everything to do with it. I won't get into the fetus thing with you; you can't bait me, not here! :p

As Capuchin describes it, instead of telling my wife I love her, I should be able to get away with saying that her "visual, chemical and behavioural cues" make her a good genetic match to my instinct to protect my own genes. Think that would work? :D
    Well that depends, does your wife have a sense of humor? :) Just because science has a method for observing and dictating where emotions come from doesn't mean you can't express them in another way, with words that are more pleasing to hear. Remember, when the electrical impulses in your brain tell you you love your wife, and you in turn tell her, electrical impulses start up in her brain to covey emotion, presumably, happy ones (unless she's pi$$ed at you and you're trying to say "I love you" to make up for what you did wrong, that is!). Maybe THAT'S where we get the idea of "electricity" in a relationship...
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Well that depends, does your wife have a sense of humor? :) Just because science has a method for observing and dictating where emotions come from doesn't mean you can't express them in another way, with words that are more pleasing to hear. Remember, when the electrical impulses in your brain tell you you love your wife, and you in turn tell her, electrical impulses start up in her brain to covey emotion, presumably, happy ones (unless she's pi$$ed at you and you're trying to say "I love you" to make up for what you did wrong, that is!). Maybe THAT'S where we get the idea of "electricity" in a relationship...
    Jillian, I'm not trying to bait anyone, OK? And if science can explain female behavior then I'm all for it :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Jillian, I'm not trying to bait anyone, ok? And if science can explain female behavior then I'm all for it :)
    You didn't know? Scientists are all afraid of women so we get deemed the "mysteries" of the universe. They are afraid to figure us out because we might have magical powers to make their brains explode. Don't you worry, there's an underground society of female scientists who are trying to harness the brain-exploding ability and once they do... well, lets just say if your wife tell you to rub her feet, you damn well better do it! :D
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 01:24 PM
    You didn't know? Scientists are all afraid of women so we get deemed the "mysteries" of the universe. They are afraid to figure us out because we might have magical powers to make their brains explode. Don't you worry, there's an underground society of female scientists who are trying to harness the brain-exploding ability and once they do... well, lets just say if your wife tell you to rub her feet, you damn well better do it! :D
    That's what I'm afraid of :D
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Aug 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
    I believe in God because someone or something had to create the universe. When I hear the Big Bang Theory, I think, "great...but who made those gases that combusted?" Everything else is questionable...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by giani513
    I believe in God because someone or something had to create the universe. When I hear the Big Bang Theory, I think, "great...but who made those gases that combusted?" Everything else is questionable...
    Who made god? :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 02:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Who made god? :)
    That is a question asked many times.

My answer to that may not be what you are looking for as it is not scientific .

God created all that exists on the universe and beyond, this does not mean that the Creator has to have the same characteristics of the created.God does not need to be created or formed or evolved,He stays the same always.He has no beginning and no end.

If God had a beginning then He would cease to be God, as this beginning would make Him similar to His creations. If He had an end then He ceases to be God.

Time does not exist for God as it does for humans and other creation, He is the Creator of time,hence He is not affected by time.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 17, 2007, 02:40 AM
    God is beyond time.
    There was no need to "make god" because there never was a lack of god.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Why does there ever need to be a lack of these gasses?

If God is eternal, I see no reason not to posit that energy is eternal.

Aug 17, 2007, 04:04 AM
    Because the theory that everything started with the big bang would be incorrect if there was matter before the big bang.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:13 AM
    Energy is not matter. Big bang theory does not give an explanation for what was before the big bang. It states that our universe started at the big bang.

Aug 17, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Gas is not energy. It is made up of atoms, and as such is matter.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Matter is made from energy.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 04:32 AM
    I have no problem with God creating everything in a Big Bang. It's one theory among many, the most prominent being black-hole Big Bangs, an oscillatory universe, Penrose's heat death entropy universe, or M-Brane collision.

We have little evidence either way. But I see no way for a creator to avoid having been created, maybe by a bigger creator, and this iteration continues on forever, so I see it much simpler to posit that he didn't cause the big bang and that the big bang was a consequence of an eternal energy (like the other theories posit).

My only issue really is that you have as much evidence as I do (none), yet you argue as if you had more. I don't believe that it's a valid argument for the existence of a God.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    That is a question asked many times.

My answer to that may not be what you are looking for as it is not scientific .

Their statement that they don't know what happened before the Big Bang isn't
    Scientific. Yet they have no problem. Neither do they have a problem with the seeming paradox of infinite space-and ultimate location. So certainly the unknown or paradoxical isn't an insurmountable issue for them. So why should they require that it be an insurmountable issue for us?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I cannot understand why God has to be in a box, with His chemical properties,biological characteristics,genus,family, and location listed.
    He will not be God if we are able to do such things.
    He is the One who started creation and He does not have to be created, if He was ever created then He is not God.
    I cannot understand why humans need to see,touch God to know He exists.
    The whole universe in its vastness,uniqueness in design, how it all works makes me wonder how can one not see the handiwork of a Creator.
    When we look into science we find that each biological organism is built with perfection unless there is an exception to the norm (which maybe diseased etc).
    Everything in nature has its function in the cycle of life and death, the Creator is the creator and sustainer of all that exists.

P.S -another question
    -To my understanding, the Quran states that every living thing is made up of water(not 100%,but water is a main component)-could this be the reason that scientists think that everything came from the same source when life began?

Aug 18, 2007, 12:25 AM
    You cannot see a way to avoid being created, that's because of your limitations. God has no limitations, and hence can see ways to do everything.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 12:35 AM
    :)

Aug 18, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Hmmm I enjoy these debates :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Side by Side: no ice & red blinking light? [ 4 Answers ]

Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and flushed the lines. I have also turned off then on the ice maker switch. No change - still...

Kenmore side by side Fridge icemaker model 106.9557651 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with my ice maker over filling? I replaced solenoid still havinbg problem.

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light [ 1 Answers ]

Was this issue ever resolved? I have the same problem. LbashabrannerJul 15, 2006, 09:09 PM Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and...

View more questions Search